Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100GL: airbox removal

Short question,
    can I remove and re-install the airbox without having to touch the carbs ?
    All is well with the carbs I assume, so I just want to seal the airbox...
    can it be done without disassembling the whole engine (or the carbs, at least ?)

thanks

gert

Yes, just loosen the airbox to carb clamps, and remove the two top mounting bolts and it will come out pretty easily. You will have to move the wiring around the snorkel on the way out and I always take it out on the throttle side.
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Gert, have not seen you here for a while. Welcome back.

How are you able to assume that the carbs are OK? Only if the bike has been running reasonably well and recently, should you be able to make that assumption.

Are you sure you need to remove the airbox to do the work you want? I would think that you should be able to reach in there and do what you need without removing it. Not sure about your 1100, but on my wife's 850 (same basic frame), it is easier to remove the airbox if the carbs are removed first. Evidently twr1776 has experience to the contrary.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve...
        well, after a VERY long period of babysitting and house-building I took the Soes out of the garage and fired her up a couple of weeks ago... I was convinced she would back off, but no, started right up...so I decided to treat her nicely as well...
        took her for a small ride, changed oil filter, changed oil, had the 'last-year-problem' of the leaking front fork solved thanks to you guys...
        gave her some KONI rear shocks yesterday...

So, even though it was just a short trip, I didn't feel anything strange (carbs look fine I would say...have NO experience whatsoever, but idled nicely and had power in all ranges)...

but I did notice that the rubber on the back of the airbox has come loose, so I want to seal this air inlet...now it must be taking air from the bottom as well instead of just the top inlet of the rubber...

so hence the question, can I do this without the carbs removed...

will do some valve clearance checking as well now that I'm getting 'into it' again, so you can mail me your sheet !!!

Comment

Originally posted by gert du prez View Post
          Short question,
          can I remove and re-install the airbox without having to touch the carbs ?
          gert
          Short Answer: Yes. (like Tim and others have said).

Other comments:

Notice the two tabs and mounting bolts on top of air box. Notice that one tab is longer than other. That is so can get one to go under/past the other one when removing the air box out (in one direction only).
          Pull air box back some to pull boots off the carbs, and then pull out sideways. Can do all this with carbs in place. (at least on 850G and 1100GK).

Another comment: I did this several/many times on 850G. And did it a couple times on 1100GK, fairly easy.
          Then I realised that I didnt have a snorkle (the rubber intake part on back of box you mentioned is loose on yours). So I got a snorkle. Well, then reinstalling the airbox got more difficult. Had to be more carefull when moving the air box into position, had to guide the snorkle past other things.

Last edited by Redman; 09-02-2009, 03:53 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by gert du prez View Post
            Thanks Steve ... will do some valve clearance checking as well now that I'm getting 'into it' again, so you can mail me your sheet !!!
            E-mail sent.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X