Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bike tipped over, what concerns should I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike tipped over, what concerns should I have?

Hey All,

So I've been riding Dino everyday lately because my other project (my 98 subaru forester) has had the motor out for 3 weeks. Today, a lady tried to double park in my spot at the doctor's office and knocked the bike over off the center stand. Fortunately, the helmet secured to the left side helmet lock and the crash bars took the worst off the fall. The bike was laid over for at least 45 min to an hour, dripping gas on the pavement. The lady was really good about it, she paged me in the office and waited till I came back to the bike, and had already reported the whole thing to her insurance company (which happened to also be my insurance co). She even admitted that it was stupid to try and squeeze in where she did. I righted the bike and let it sit for about ten minutes to drain down, there was very little fuel actually on the bike and I wiped off what there was. I checked everything over before I rode to work (3 miles away) and the oil was just above the "low" line in the sightglass. I will top it up before I ride home today. Everything else was, I believe, cosmetic damage and either way the insurance company said they would take care of all of it. It started and seems to run fine, that being said, are there any things I should be concerned about that could crop up after the fact in a situation like this?
    Thanks,

Originally posted by jcoov1104 View Post
    Hey All,

So I've been riding Dino everyday lately because my other project (my 98 subaru forester) has had the motor out for 3 weeks. Today, a lady tried to double park in my spot at the doctor's office and knocked the bike over off the center stand. Fortunately, the helmet secured to the left side helmet lock and the crash bars took the worst off the fall. The bike was laid over for at least 45 min to an hour, dripping gas on the pavement. The lady was really good about it, she paged me in the office and waited till I came back to the bike, and had already reported the whole thing to her insurance company (which happened to also be my insurance co). She even admitted that it was stupid to try and squeeze in where she did. I righted the bike and let it sit for about ten minutes to drain down, there was very little fuel actually on the bike and I wiped off what there was. I checked everything over before I rode to work (3 miles away) and the oil was just above the "low" line in the sightglass. I will top it up before I ride home today. Everything else was, I believe, cosmetic damage and either way the insurance company said they would take care of all of it. It started and seems to run fine, that being said, are there any things I should be concerned about that could crop up after the fact in a situation like this?
    Thanks,
    Make sure they pay for replacing that helmet. Get a shop or someone to do the estimate, find the parts and fix it yourself. Be careful here, if it costs too much to fix they may total it, depending on your state laws you may get a bike with a salvage title, or worse, a handful of dollars and no bike at all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Check for battery acid spils. That is a slow death like cancer.

Comment

Change your oil. Gas will drain into your crank case.

+1 on battery acid as well.
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

I was also going to suggest the oil change.

I did not think of the battery spill, as I use sealed AGM batteries on all my bikes. Good thought to mention it, Rudeman.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Be sure the damage is on her policy and not yours.

Let her take a hit for her stupidity.

Also, ride the bike , then check the oil level before you top it off
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It's nice that she was so good about it. Just out of curiosity though, is there any particular reason you're not using the much more stable side stand when parking in a public lot?

knocked the bike over off the center stand.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                It's nice that she was so good about it. Just out of curiosity though, is there any particular reason you're not using the much more stable side stand when parking in a public lot?
                Does not matter, if a car hits it it's going over.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

True that! Guess when I read it I figured the "double parked" thing meant another motorcycle (and also by how responsible the lady was - a responsible cager ??? ) And yeah, they're still not trivial to knock over even on the center stand.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                    True that! Guess when I read it I figured the "double parked" thing meant another motorcycle (and also by how responsible the lady was - a responsible cager ??? ) And yeah, they're still not trivial to knock over even on the center stand.
                    If she hit the back of the bike just the littlest bit would push it right off the center stand. I leaned on one once a smaller lighter bike and it pushed forward and would have hit the floor if others wernt around. I don't care for using the centerstand unless in a controlled enviornment.

The side stand is a way safer bet to me. The center stand should only be used during service.

Other then that I can't think of anything else other then the battery leakage, brake fluid leakage...

Comment

If the petcock was working there is really no chance for fuel to drain into the engine. If anything it would have a puddle of fuel under the bike from laying on its side. Definately make them buy a new helmet- you did say you just bought a new Shoei ;-) Look it over for damage

Comment

thanks everybody...

Thank you for all the tips, they were exactly what I was looking for and have come to expect from the folks here at the GSR.
                        I checked over the whole bike, examined the battery and drain tube (seem to be no leaks), and checked the oil before riding home from work (a little bit lower than full but rideable).
                        As soon as I got home I changed the oil and filter. Not sure if there was fuel in the oil or not but better safe than sorry and she was due anyway.
                        I miss spoke about the center stand, the bike was definitely on the side stand when she hit it and I agree the side stand is much more stable, just not against a cager.
                        And my "new Shoei" will totally need to be replaced

Comment

And my "new Shoei" will totally need to be replaced
                          Niiiiiccce!

Comment

Working...
                          X