Cylinder Head removal 850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder Head removal 850G

I am going to be replacing a head gasket and was looking through the manual that Cliff had on his site. It appears that the cams will have to come out in order to facilitate head removal. I just set the lash on the valves and was wondering what the chances would be that after re-assembly any of them would still be correct. I'd always thought that one of the beauties of OHC was that the valves would stay set when the head came off. I guess that was cars and this is motorcycles.

I changed mine a couple of weeks ago on my GS750, and 6 of 8 clearances were exactly the same. The other two were only 0.01-0.02mm different. And I that was after changing the valve stem seals too - didn't lap the valves though as the surfaces looked spotless.
    1979 GS750E

Comment

Changing shims is easy. What are you worried about?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Unless you're a magician, the cams have to come off. The drive chain goes up the center.

Comment

To answer your question, the valve clearances really shouldn't be affected. But you will want to re-check them upon re-assembly. I mean, you're right there...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

When I replaced the head gasket on my 750 earlier this year none of the valve clearances were different - I did however re-check them all...

I would be more concerned with making sure the cam chain gets re-installed correctly, & not off a tooth or two.

Good luck,

Mike
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
              When I replaced the head gasket on my 750 earlier this year none of the valve clearances were different - I did however re-check them all...

I would be more concerned with making sure the cam chain gets re-installed correctly, & not off a tooth or two.

Good luck,

Mike
              Yeah. Surprisingly easy to get that wrong. Especially if you do it at 2 or 3 in the morning, or whatever time that was.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                Yeah. Surprisingly easy to get that wrong. Especially if you do it at 2 or 3 in the morning, or whatever time that was.
                Or with many brewed beverages Hell, I'm lucky mine didn't go on backwards!
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                X