Gsx1100 alloy swing arm....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gsx1100 alloy swing arm....

guys,,,,hi, guys,,,and girls,,,,,, a few years ago i purchased a small box of spares off a guy locally ,,,and in it turned up ,was a gsx1100 alloy swing arm,,, ,,he got rid of all the spares as he didn,t feel like fiddling with his s ,and wanted to keep it std., anyway,,, i,d like to fiddle,, Q is the any benefit fiting 1 of these to my 1980 gs 1000e ,,removing the standard swing arm which is tubular steel ,,, and placing this in its place ,,, i,ve got all the bearings and dust covers ,,, for it hope you can help me .... also how do I place a pic of my bike on the site ,,,,regards david from kaniva australia

They are quite a bit lighter than the OEM, also quite a bit more rigid.
    Cheers

Comment

David,

1. I just did the swingarm conversion on my 78. It's a straight swap,however, I had to remove one of the big washers to get it to slide in. Check your bushings for play prior to installation. I replaced both of my bushings

2. Posting pictures and such is found on the Basscliff site

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

For a full racing application, the less weight & streingth may be an advantage. All other applications they sure look a lot better. Just my opinion...
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

they sure do look a lot better and will have a slight advantage being lighter and more rigid.
          as stated before, just make sure all the bearings and bushings are in good condition prior to fitting
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by lesliew51@hotmail.com View Post
            guys,,,,hi, guys,,,and girls,,,,,, a few years ago i purchased a small box of spares off a guy locally ,,,and in it turned up ,was a gsx1100 alloy swing arm,,, ,,he got rid of all the spares as he didn,t feel like fiddling with his s ,and wanted to keep it std., anyway,,, i,d like to fiddle,, Q is the any benefit fiting 1 of these to my 1980 gs 1000e ,,removing the standard swing arm which is tubular steel ,,, and placing this in its place ,,, i,ve got all the bearings and dust covers ,,, for it hope you can help me .... also how do I place a pic of my bike on the site ,,,,regards david from kaniva australia
            What year(s) was that swingarm, and will it fit on a 79 750?

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
              What year(s) was that swingarm, and will it fit on a 79 750?
              They fit except that the swingarm pivot shaft is larger diameter. You can hog out the hole in the 750 frame, or find bearings to accommodate the larger shaft.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i put one on my 78 and the bennifits are great , better hanling and very little flex as it was quite bad before i did the swap .it was a direct bolt in .
                it was the most benifical mod that the bike has had . the other thing that helped was the koni shocks. between those two mods there is very little wiggle left .
                good luck ....toolman

Comment

Originally posted by toolman View Post
                  i put one on my 78 and the bennifits are great , better hanling and very little flex as it was quite bad before i did the swap .it was a direct bolt in .
                  it was the most benifical mod that the bike has had . the other thing that helped was the koni shocks. between those two mods there is very little wiggle left .
                  good luck ....toolman
                  Again, what year or years of swingarm would I look for?

Comment

'80 and '81 GS1100E works, not sure about the later ones.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      '80 and '81 GS1100E works, not sure about the later ones.
                      Thanks! I'll be on the lookout

Comment

Working...
                      X