GS850GX Valve cover leakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850GX Valve cover leakage

So what's the trick to getting the valve cover to stop seeping oil? It's a new gasket and is torqued to specs as per Clymer's. Half round end caps look good - not leaking there anyway. What do I do, just crank the heck out of them?

Was the old gasket material removed completely?? PITA to do it nicely...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Yeah, the old one was rubber so it came right off. but, it too was coated with oil on both top and bottom.

Comment

Well assuming the cover isn't warped (?) I would torque the cover down just a tad more & see what happens, not crank the heck out of it ...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Some of the paper gaskets can 'move' after the rocker box is tight and allows an oil leak. The only way to cure it is to start again.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
            So what's the trick to getting the valve cover to stop seeping oil? It's a new gasket and is torqued to specs as per Clymer's. Half round end caps look good - not leaking there anyway. What do I do, just crank the heck out of them?
            Was it an OEM gasket from the dealer or purchased online? IMO, the OEM are worth an extra few dollars and are better quality. Do not crank those valve cover bolts done! If you snap one, you'll regret it. They really don't require much torque so I would check that your mating surfaces are cleaned thoroughly and be sure the gasket lines up properly before tightening any bolts down...and tighten them down gradually and evenly.

Comment

i don't have experience of the 850's but the early 11's had 20 bolt camcovers that were prone to leak... the later 24 bolt covers were a lot less prone to it. the oem gasket, as has already been mentioned, helped a lot of the earlier covers/heads as they were a better quality to say, cometic

Comment

I'll try answer all of the posts -
                It's 16 bolt H pattern
                It's an aftermarket paper gasket and it DID slide around a bit
                I don't think the cover is warper but it could be so slight that you never know

Thanks guys. Much appreciated

Jim

Comment

Noob Q.

What about coating the gasket w/ gasket maker?

Comment

Originally posted by andmoon View Post
                    Noob Q.

What about coating the gasket w/ gasket maker?
                    Not needed & will ultimately make a bigger mess to clean up next time you remove the cover.

Best bet, as other have said, is to use OEM gaskets & then coat them with a very light layer of grease or WD40 to facilitate removal the next time.

Of course, the mating surfaces have to be clean & free form residual old gasket material.
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                    X