Fork springs dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork springs dimensions

I just read in the manual that front spring length should be 421mm. I measured mine when I serviced the front forks and they are 500.5mm. I replaced the oil with 15w oil but I did not put any air in the forks and it still feels very soft. Are these springs Progressive? I thought they might be that is why I did not put any air in the forks.

In my 750, the stock springs were 2 piece. A shorter upper and then the long lower. The Progressives I replaced mine with were a one piece and roughly the length you stated. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
      In my 750, the stock springs were 2 piece. A shorter upper and then the long lower. The Progressives I replaced mine with were a one piece and roughly the length you stated. Hope that helps.
      But I thought the progressive springs were supposed to be stiffer than stock. When I'm straddling the bike and apply the front brakes the bike dives about 3" and I think that is way too soft. If they are indeed progressive spring I'd hate to cut them. Maybe I'll try some air in them or a piece of pipe but I had a hard time putting on the top as it is.

Comment

The 850 has a soft spring that looks almost identical to a progressive spring as it's progressive wound & 1 piece.

Either cut it or replace with progressive.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Dan, I was trying to figure out if I have the stock springs or progressives or springs from another GS. The manual indicates a much shorter length for the springs (421mm stock vs. 500.5mm on mine) and I would hate to cut mine if they are indeed Progressive springs.

Raz

Comment

progressive springs are wound with closer coils on one end and factory ones usually are not. And they sometimes require a spacer. You can check their website for setup info for your forks

Comment

It's not so much a matter of how much it dives when you try pushing down on the forks, it's a matter of how much is sags when you put your weight on it. The difference between fully extended and loaded with your weight should not exceed 20-25% of the total travel. Most of our bikes have about 6 inches of fork travel, so you only want the front to sag about 1 to 1.5 inches. Adjust your preload with PVC pipe spacers to get that correct ride height.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                It's not so much a matter of how much it dives when you try pushing down on the forks, it's a matter of how much is sags when you put your weight on it. The difference between fully extended and loaded with your weight should not exceed 20-25% of the total travel. Most of our bikes have about 6 inches of fork travel, so you only want the front to sag about 1 to 1.5 inches. Adjust your preload with PVC pipe spacers to get that correct ride height.

I'll try that I just hope that I can actually compress the springs and the pipe in order to screw in the top caps.

Comment

Did you try it with 10-15 psi? The bike really is made for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
                    Did you try it with 10-15 psi? The bike really is made for that.
                    I did not because I thought that no air is needed if using Progressive springs.

Comment

I have progressive springs and I run air, works wonderfully.

Comment

I don't run air in the 1000's with progressives. The 850 also has a progressively wound stock spring so you're right - it is hard to tell!

Try upping the preload first, if you need to go much more than an inch above the top of the threads I would think about cutting some coils to stiffen the spring rate.

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                        X