Forks parts question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks parts question

I was looking over the parts diagram for the forks and I noticed that I did not see a couple of parts when I disassembled my forks. Part #18 and part #5 in the diagram. Is #18 just a spacer like the PVC pipe mod? What does part #5 do and does it go inside the fork tube or does it just sit on top?

Am I correct to assume that since I do not have the #18 spacer tube and my springs are about 80mm longer than stock that my springs are Progressive?

Thanks,

Raz

# 18 is just a spacer

#5 is the spring clip that retains the fork seals.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

What bwringer said. It's the retaining clip that fits into the machined groove in the top of the fork. It secures the seal in place. Your might not be shaped exactly like the one in the drawing, but you pretty much have to have one or the seal would pop out when you hit the first bump.
      Don

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Don View Post
        What bwringer said. It's the retaining clip that fits into the machined groove in the top of the fork. It secures the seal in place. Your might not be shaped exactly like the one in the drawing, but you pretty much have to have one or the seal would pop out when you hit the first bump.
        Don
        OK so I'm quite sure that the fork seals are toast because I get some oil leakage on both forks but not excessive. I'm trying to figure out if I need the clips since I can't remember seeing them when I took the forks apart. I have been compressing the front end quite vigorously testing the front brakes without actually riding the bike. Would a lack of clips cause a major oil leak (more so than just blown seals)? I want to order the parts from Z1 but I'd rather not take the forks apart until the parts are in my hand to minimize down time.

Comment

It's better to have those clips when you take it apart and not need them, then to need those parts and not have them. Consider new ones anyway since they are old and you are rebuilding the forls
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
            It's better to have those clips when you take it apart and not need them, then to need those parts and not have them. Consider new ones anyway since they are old and you are rebuilding the forls
            True enough it's just that the wait for those clips would be at least 2 weeks but I can get the seals in under one week.

Comment

Working...
            X