Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP a GSer out --- Anyone have a carb sync to share?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP a GSer out --- Anyone have a carb sync to share?

Hi everyone,

this might be going out on a limb, but i just got my bike and after doing a really through cleaning on the carbs i heard they need to be vacuum synced. Unfortunately i am just a college student and cannot afford the $80-150 tool to get the job done.

Is there a place to get the tool cheaper?

Does anyone know of a cheaper solution or be willing to drop by my place to help me out? Pizza and beer of coarse, i live in Aliso Viejo California.

I didn't know if this was the usual to ask for, but i thought i would try. I want to become a part of this community so if anyone needs my help maybe we can trade.

Id be happy to help, as i have one of the sync tools now, but you're 2500+ miles away, and I dont think the US postal service would appreciate me shipping liquid metal across the country and back....

Comment

There are a lot of GSR guys in your area, one of them should be able to help out, maybe in trade for cleaning greasy sprockets and wheels or something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        maybe in trade for cleaning greasy sprockets and wheels or something.

Totally willing to do something like that. I'm all about trading time.

Comment

Now, TCK, don't go exagerating there, it's only 2200 miles.

Yeah, I looked it up.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Now, TCK, don't go exagerating there, it's only 2200 miles.

Yeah, I looked it up.

What, you think he's taking the Interstate?
            Boring.
            Oh, wait, you are a Gold Wang guy, I guess you would be OK with that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              What, you think he's taking the Interstate?
              Boring.
              Oh, wait, you are a Gold Wang guy, I guess you would be OK with that.
              NO, SIR!!!

Four lanes are for making time.

Two lanes are for making memories.

I only take the four-lane highways when I have to be somewhere. I much prefer taking the two-lane roads.
              Just ask TCK about watching a bunch of Wings on two-lane roads (or less) in West Virginia.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I ended up buying one since I know I will need it again sometime. I like to own all my tools

Comment

Hi Mr. YoungGunRodder,

I'm a little closer, in the "IE". But unfortunately I can't come to you. I have a Morgan Carb Tune that I could use on your bike if you can make it here. Feel free to send me an email (in my user info).

You could also build a manometer for very little money. I'm sure you can find the procedure with a Google search or searching this forum.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Oops, that's a little too far for me, too. Otherwise we could have a carb tuning party!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi Mr. YoungGunRodder,

You could also build a manometer for very little money. I'm sure you can find the procedure with a Google search or searching this forum.

BassCliff

I found this like on Google. http://www.obairlann.net/reaper/moto...manometer.html Do they really work as good as this guy says so? If so why are we buying these costly guages? How would i hook this rubber tube up to the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by YoungGunRodder View Post
                        I found this like on Google. http://www.obairlann.net/reaper/moto...manometer.html Do they really work as good as this guy says so? If so why are we buying these costly guages? How would i hook this rubber tube up to the bike?
                        You will go crazy using a tool with less than 4 hookups. Changing a carb setting can change all 3 of the other carbs. I know it sounds weird, but that's what happens.

I recently did Gustov's 1100 with my Morgan, tweaking one screw brought all 4 in line.

You would have to do 1-2, then 2-3, then, 3-4, then 1-4, 1-2 (yes, again, it will have changed) and on and on. Nothing you couldn't do in a few hours of hooking it up again and again to check your balance between every carb.

It takes longer to set up the bike and the Carbtune than it does to adjust the carbs.

Hang in there, there's bound to be someone closer to you, if not, BassCliff is not too far away. I'm sure that hanging with Cliff for a bit would produce dividends for your bike knowledge.

And ignore those guys back East. They apparently live to hijack threads (don't you have a real job or something, you 3??)

What about a Socal carb tuning party???
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

You will go crazy using a tool with less than 4 hookups. Changing a carb setting can change all 3 of the other carbs. I know it sounds weird, but that's what happens.

What about a Socal carb tuning party???

Oh I already thought you'd need to make two tubes (four connections) to have it work properly. Preferably though it would be great to meet some GS'ers down here in the OC.

I never thought there would be such a following for these bikes. I found mine on craigslist and thought it looked good for a first time bike. I know how to fix mechanics and thought it'd be an easy project.
                          Now i feel REALLY lucky to have caught such a gem from craigslist and have this great support group of people and experts with the bikes. Info here is unstoppable.

Still anyone want to help me out. I know I'm just trying to save a 100 bucks, but I'm 22 and in college.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungGunRodder View Post
                            Hi everyone,

this might be going out on a limb, but i just got my bike and after doing a really through cleaning on the carbs i heard they need to be vacuum synced. Unfortunately i am just a college student and cannot afford the $80-150 tool to get the job done.

Is there a place to get the tool cheaper?

Does anyone know of a cheaper solution or be willing to drop by my place to help me out? Pizza and beer of coarse, i live in Aliso Viejo California.

I didn't know if this was the usual to ask for, but i thought i would try. I want to become a part of this community so if anyone needs my help maybe we can trade.
                            There are guys here from OC, but you likely need to get the bike running and drop by for a quick tune.

Comment

Manometer

Made one of these, seamed to work well

Comment

Working...
                              X