Fork / swing arm swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork / swing arm swap

Okay I have been searching through here for a while and not seeing exactly what I need.

I am looking into swapping out my front forks and rear swingarm with something more modern for better handling, rim and rubber selection, and braking power.

My bike 1981 GS750

Front - just looking for a simple bolt on that will give me a better suspension and braking options.

Rear - I want to stay with dual shocks in the rear but be able to fit a 180ish tire. (is that possible?)

I read allot of posts on swapping the 83 and up GSs with first gen GSXR parts but will those same parts swap on the older GS? (my 1981 GS750)

What am I looking for pre 1995 GSXR 750 stuff???????

Any help would be appreciated.

Any GSX-R front end from 86-97 or so would be good & I have a 3 inch over CalFab swingarm, with an air tank in it for an air shifter, all the brake assembly, sprocket, & PM Chicane wheel, ready to bolt right on, all of it for 800 bucks. PM me if interested. If you are going to stick with the 750 motor, you will actually slow the bike down by going to a 180 rear tire set up. A 160 will work much better! Ray.

Comment

Without a longer swinger you won't get a 180 in there. 160 maybe. Nothing that's a bolt on though..

You might get an 1150 wheel on it with a 140 or 150 tyre, that's the closest to a bolt on.
      Whilst the GSXR stuff does bolt on there is lots of other work to get steering stops, bars, gauges, ignition etc to work properly....

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Whilst the GSXR stuff does bolt on there is lots of other work to get steering stops, bars, gauges, ignition etc to work properly....

Dan
        Yea but it is still a "bolt on"

Comment

The CalFab arm & PM wheel I have IS a BOLT ON!!! Ray.

Comment

Okay so GSXR 86-97 for front end thats good to know,
            I am not worried about speedo or ignition my bike doesnt have any of those, at least not on the handle bars I will need the steering stops and the only gauge I plan on running in the hopefully near future is a boost gauge.

Ray - I appreciate the offer on the swinger but I think that may be more than what I need. (sounds trick though) I think I just need a box style swinger that will fit a 180 or a 160 would be fine.
            I need it to utilize the dual shock set up though, I currently have plans for the space where a mono shock would go.

I am currently researching everything right now for 7/11 swap with a turbo behind the motor under the seat. Like I said just researching right now but I am pretty sure I am going to try this build. There are just some suspension and handling details that would need sorted first before I get any real ponies under my arss.

Right now I am just trying to learn / figure out what I need to make the bike handle properly.

So 86-97 GSXR front end.....but what swinger could I use that would still utilize the dual shock set up??????

Does the same year GSXRs swinger fit in the frame???

Comment

The GSXRs are all monoshock, so you can either use a GS1100E aluminum swingarm, or get the modified Bandit swingarm,like Posplayers

You may want to consider a Katana front end for a more comfortable riding position.

All of it bolts up, but some mods are required.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The CalFab arm I have uses the twin shock setup just like stock & that PM wheel HAS a 160 tire on it right now. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                X