'79 GS 550E Rear Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS 550E Rear Brakes

My bike has a druim brake on the rear wheel (both wheels are spoked, front brake is single disk). I hate it, as there is no way to check the brake pad status without taking the wheel off.

I'm wondering if there is any way to replace it with a disk brake. Has anyone done this conversion? How big a project is it? Can the necessary elements just be swapped-in? Would I have to get a different rear wheel?

Thanks,

i think you may have to go with the mag type wheels. yes the conversion can be done, it's going to require finding some parts though.

i'm not going to get into the parts you'll need until i know your swingarm has the mounts for a brake caliper. if the swing arm doesn't have the place to mount the caliper, then you'll first have to swap swingarms before you can think about putting a disc brake on the back.

~Adam

Comment

i found you a good deal:

that gives you a really good start for converting to disc rear brakes. you'll need the mag wheels, rotor, and rear brake master-cylinder, resevoir, and pedal next.

~Adam

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2423153624 Here's the wheel/rotor from the same guy.

Comment

Try www.vintagebrake.com for hooking up that rear drum.......also the 77, 78 GS models above the 550 have rear spokes with disks, and dual disk spokes up front.

Comment

found the last part you'll need:

lines, caliper, master cylinder, and resevoir.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
            X