Yosh exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yosh exhaust

My '83 GS1100E came with a decent Yosh pipe.

It was loud from the start so I repacked it and it is still too loud for my liking.

Were they inherently loud and anyone have any tips to offer to quiet it down..ie : special packing material?

I assumed you studied the construction of the baffle when you replaced the packing. If not it is straight through. The packing is to just tone down the raspy vibration that would setup in the can.

If you wanna keep the original Yoshi pipe but make it quieter, you might consider modifying the baffle to block the straight through. If the baffle is in good shape you could experiment with cutting the baffle in two and welding a flat disk at the cut. This would force the exhaust out through the perforations in the baffle through the packing and then back through the perforations to the center to finally exit from the center of the baffle again.
    Of course forcing all of the exhaust to pass through packing is really going to restrict the exhaust so maybe a donut of about 70% diameter that would be a 50% reduction in the straight through (by cross sectional area).

The Kerker guys have different donuts they play with, but I can claim to ever having seen a pic of one.

I stuffed by can with SS Wolf and only got a moderate reduction in exhaust noise.

Comment

I'd leave it alone. Yosh headers aren't THAT loud and they work. Heck I drilled the plates in my baffle to increase the flow. It's louder yet and it still isn't offensive.

Make sure it's jetted properly; it'll reduce the raspiness.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudeman View Post
        I'd leave it alone. Yosh headers aren't THAT loud and they work. Heck I drilled the plates in my baffle to increase the flow. It's louder yet and it still isn't offensive.

Make sure it's jetted properly; it'll reduce the raspiness.
        Well I guess we are both pi$$ing in the wind; all of the 2 1/2" inlet cans I have seen are straight through. Of course that is what I'm assuming he has. Your talking about drilling plates in baffles which doesnt sound like straight through.

A pic of the baffle in question might help.

This is a later model for the 2 1/2" inlet style but you can see the straight through design.

Last edited by posplayr; 09-04-2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

If your yosh is to loud, sell it! They are designed as a race pipe so sound was not a consideration. You should be able to sell the system for good money and easialy use the money made from the yosh to buy a mac pipe with a quiter baffel, and still have money left from the sale of your yosh.
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
            If your yosh is to loud, sell it! They are designed as a race pipe so sound was not a consideration. You should be able to sell the system for good money and easialy use the money made from the yosh to buy a mac pipe with a quiter baffel, and still have money left from the sale of your yosh.
            Well yea that is an even better idea. I would go for a V&H but I'm not sure those are that much more quite.

It is hard enough getting a good GS pipe, especially a Yoshi and then needing it quite???

Comment

Working...
            X