Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug Cap replacement

Ok, so here's my next newbie question.

If I have a coil that is missing the spark plug cap, can I pull one off an old coil and wire assembly just long enough to check the coil?

Meaning, once the spark plug caps are pulled off, can they be reinserted?

Sorry to ask such a boneheaded question, I just couldn't find an answer!

Question

That's not a bad question!! You can reinsert them and, usually, without a problem. I'm unsure of exactly where you mean but there's usually a spiral type of attachment that ensures good contact.

Put it back together and see what you get. If you're wondering if you're plug is firing, you can take an extra plug (leaving the one in the cylinder in place) and put it in the cap. Place it against the cylinder and you'll quickly see if you're getting a good spark...which means a good connection. Check it out that way and you'll do fine!
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 09-04-2009, 08:12 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Yeah... I figured it out. Exactly as you had said. I was just impatient and went to look again. :P

Thanks CC!

Comment

Better yet, replace them with new for about 4 dollars each
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by StevieD View Post

......, once the spark plug caps are pulled off, can they be reinserted?

Yes and No.

Yes, the caps can come off the wire and can be put back on.

No, dont just pull them. Twist while pulling as if unscrewing them. And push and twist to put back on.

And this is for the cap on the wire. The wire in the coil is a different situation.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
          X