carb boot removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb boot removal

I have a hand impact tool but I have no room to swing the hammer to hit the carb boot screws. How do you remove the carb manifold boots without having to remove the engine? `79 GS 1000E Also can I use automotive radiator hose clamps on the boots? The oem clamps no longer tighten.
    sigpic1979 GS 1000E
    Southside Chicago

Swing sideways with a slight tilt on the driver. Just be sure to hold the driver with a good grip stressing in the counter clockwise pos.

It can be done.. If not you'll have the break out the drimmal.
    I was lucky and didnt have to use it on mine.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Brace the front wheel against something stationary. Then, using the correct impact bit, fit the bit into a proper size socket. using the socket/bit combo, place the tip ofhte bit into the srew and while leaning hard against the bike and crank the wrench handle until you loosen the screw. Be patient!

Comment

Do you have access to an air compressor to use a air impact? I was able to use a 3/8" air impact on my 850.

BigBri
        sigpic

1980 GS1000G in the shop!

Past Bikes
        1979 GS850G
        1978 GS750
        1973 GT380

Comment

No I don`t have an air impact wrench. How would I use the dremel tool to remove the bolts? Can I use automotive radiator hose clamps on the boots? The oem ones no longer tighten up.
          sigpic1979 GS 1000E
          Southside Chicago

Comment

Get a long extension for your impact. Or, remove the outer screws and spin the boots to crack loose the inner screw. Vice grips work well to remove the outer screws.

Hose clamps are a last resort. Best to order new clamps from your favorite OE parts source.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What about a place to plug in an 110V air compressor? I would be willing to come to you with the compressor and impact and hammer them out. I thought about you when I did mine and didn't have room to swing the hammer.
              The dremel is used to cut a slot for a straight bladed screwdriver or cut the screw head off. Let's not make more work than we have to.
              I would go with replacement original clamps before thinking about putting an automotive clamp on. Just for cleaner looks if nothing else.

BigBri
              sigpic

1980 GS1000G in the shop!

Past Bikes
              1979 GS850G
              1978 GS750
              1973 GT380

Comment

Please dont cut the head off. Ya think its hard to get the impact driver in there the last thing ya need to do is work in that area with a drill and an easy out.
                I could imagine that would suck!

I dint have a problem with mine. It wasnt easy mind you but they did come out.
                I think the secret is to turn the driver as if you were trying to loosen the screw as ya whack it with the hammer. Be sure the driver has a good bite on the screw.

An extension sounds like a pretty good idea too.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

Comment

I had to take the battery and air box out on my 550 to get the room (just) to swing the hammer.
                  On the subject of clamps I use 5/16" automotive clamps ordered from McMaster Carr and they work well. Most shops only stock the 1/2" in the diameter you will need. 5/16" is very close to the original 8mm.
                  Get the clamps as close to the final size as possible or the sticking out end will catch on things in that congested space.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2009, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Use a tight-fitting Philips bit and a wrench.

I got mine out of 30-year-old bike easy as pie as follows. Select a very tight fitting (slightly oversized Philips bit...like what comes with an impact driver or drill bit set. It should fit tight enough that you have to slightly hammer it in. Then find a 3/8 or 1/2 inch socket that will slip over the bit to drive it. Connect socket wrench. Now you have a socket-wrench driven Philips bit and something that should not slip out and that has great leverage. Push against it as you turn. All mine came out easy and looked like new afterwards.

Comment

vice grips on the outer bolts and then take a board and tap the flange to break the inner bolts loose. Worked well for me doing it this way.

Comment

I just removed and replaced the ones on my GS1000E. I had to remove the air box and battery box anyway, so there was plenty of room to work. I just used a 6" pair of vise grips. There was enough room on the boots to just get a grip on the screw heads without damaging them. Once you get a grip on them, they come out easily.
                        Don

Comment

When you finally do get them out, make a trip to the local Ace hardware or similar and pick up some allen head bolts. Makes future removal much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
                            When you finally do get them out, make a trip to the local Ace hardware or similar and pick up some allen head bolts. Makes future removal much easier.

Or better yet..

sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Black 550 L View Post
                              vice grips on the outer bolts and then take a board and tap the flange to break the inner bolts loose. Worked well for me doing it this way.

I thought we only used boards to smack tools in GA?

LMAO!

I didnt have to resort to the ole scary vise grip technique. Whackin the impact driver worked great.
                              I hit it just to the point where I thought I was hitting it too hard.

TXDon is correct, once ya get em popped lose they come right out.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                              X