only getting spark when plug laid against head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only getting spark when plug laid against head

I'm having trouble starting my 82 1100g. I wasn't getting any spark so I took out the plug and put it against the head. This time it sparked and wanted to fire up on 3 cylinders. So I put the plug back in but again no spark. I tried the plug against the head thing again and as per before it begins to fire the other cylinders. What is happening here? bad ground?

How do you know you arent getting spark when you put it back in the motor?? Maybe the bike is just not getting enough fuel or air and THATS why its not starting..

Comment

What he said, I would also think about replacing the spark plug caps

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. bonzo,

Hmmm, it seems like you have spark. To be sure, replace the plug caps and the plugs themselves. Check and clean every electrical connection and ground on the entire wiring harness including the fusebox and the ignition switch. You'll be glad you did. Make sure your valve clearances are adjusted properly, the air intake system is sealed, the carbs are clean, etc. It's all here in your "mega-welcome" pages...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Your right I couldn't be sure I wasn't still getting spark with the plug back in what I meant was that with the plug out it actually fired but back in absolutely nothing. I could have been getting spark I don't know it just seemed weird. Anyway I just finished cleaning all the connectors I could find around the fuse box and RR and it fired up no probs. Now its running badly though. Its rough and back firing. I'll run through basscliff's check list and see if I can isolate the problem. I'm thinking leak at the air filter or the petcock might be stuffed. I attached a pic of the bike. I only purchased 2 weeks ago. Im a novice at mechanics but hopefully using the extensive resources on this site I should have it running well in no time.

Comment

I suggest you start performing all the basic maintainence and build a solid baseline to revive the bike. A full carb rebuild w/new o-rings is a good place to start, don't forget the intake boot O-rings, along with a valve adjustment. Cycleorings.com has the O-ring kit although I'm not sure he ships to Australia.

Good luck
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sounds like it's time for a good carb cleaning. Soak 'em and get a set of o-rings from Duane and you'll at least have that area covered. If you're seeing spark with the plug laying on the head, there is a 99.9% chance that there is spark in the cylinder and what's missing is the fuel. A quick test would be to pour 1/4 ounce of fuel into the plug holes and put the plugs back in. I bet it will fire. Good luck and welcome to the GSR.

Comment

Working...
              X