Suzuki GS/GSX 4-valve cylinder head swaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS/GSX 4-valve cylinder head swaps

Hello everyone, I need some information from those in the know about cylinder heads for the Suzuki 4-valvers.

My situation is this:

The local wrecking yard recently acquired a 1982 katana 1100 - complete in every respect except it was missing the cylinder head. Apparently it was a race-tuned motor - ported, flowed, etc. - and the previous owner sold it off before forwarding the rest of the bike to the wrecker.

1100 motors are getting a bit rare, or so it seems in my neck of the woods, and I'd really like this motor for an upcoming project.

This wrecker also has a few GSX750 motors lying around, and we managed to find two cylinder heads which (he says) come from the 750. Judging by the camshaft cover bolt patterns, one is from an '82 model, the other either an '80 or '81 model. I don't know much about the 4-valvers (I've always had 2-valvers) - so I was a bit surprised when both of these cylinder heads dropped straight onto the 1100 block.

You probably know what I'm going to ask next. Is it possible to adapt 750 cylinder heads to the 1100?

I've had a quick look at various parts diagrams, and noticed straight away that these early 80-82 model 750 & 1100 4-valvers share some top-end parts. The only differences seem to be mainly confined to the valves, cams & rocker arms. As an example, it seems the 1983 Katana 750 & 1100 both share the same intake (or is it exhaust) cam part number. By the way, I forgot to mention, I do have two sets of (confirmed) 1100 camshafts, so ideally they'll be used if I can get a 750 cylinder head to work.

I imagine at the very least I'm going to have to modify the ports and valve seats. But what else is required?

Could this be done? Has anyone tried this? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pat
    Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2009, 09:14 AM.

Bump......
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

First it depends on the cylinder spacing. I suspect they are not the same. That kills it right there if they are different,

Second is compression. It sounds great to put small chambers on a big motor but if it ends up with super high compression you are going to need different cams and av gas. Serious high compression is not always a plus, especially for street bikes, and 14 to one will play hell with the bottom end.

third is piston shape. If the pistons are formed to match the chambers of the head then there may not be a match. You have two choices and that is to modify the pistons to match (risky) or find pistons made for the application and that may be impossible.

Fourth is the camshaft situation. If all of the above works out, you would probably need cams that are ground to work with the valves, chambers, and ports along with high compression. That's a tall order and you're not going to find a set on ebay.

Fifth would be why. Just find a 1100 head, sure they are not cheap but good ones perform like nothing else and it takes all the guesswork out.

Someone might come along and tell me I'm full of it and that's fine. But I would just get an 1100 head and do it right.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. PostmanPat,

I'm just here to say "HOoooowwDY!"

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

what he said and my 2 cents:
          The valve reliefs in the 1100 pistons would not fit the smaller 750 valves. IF the bore spacing is the same, you would have quite a high compression, and the ports and valves on the 750 are much smaller. Would make for a real bottom end torque monster.

Comment

Wait for RapidRay he will give you the final anser. If it fits on cyl the studs it should work. You may loose a few Hp with the smaller valves

Comment

Thanks everyone for your welcome and the replies.

Just to make sure that everything is clear:

1) I've checked the cylinder bore spacings - the 1100's bores line up perfectly with both of these supposed 750 heads.

2)I know for sure that I'm going to have to do some valve modification work - there's no way I'm going to put 750 sized valves on an 1100 As I said in the original post, I imagine that will involve replacing the valve seats with oversize ones to suit the 1100 valves and resizing of the ports. I'm up to that - I've got a pretty good machine shop here at home.

3) Ideally, I'd like to have an 1100 head but it's a case of "having" to go this route, rather than "wanting" to. Sure, if an 1100 head turns up somewhere , I'll use that. I'm just wondering if a 750 head could be a stop-gap solution.

I've yet to compare the valve relief spacings on the 1100 and 750 pistons, that'll probably be the next job. I'll keep you posted, for those that are interested.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2009, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Doing some research on the Alpha Sports parts diagrams, this might be of interest to some people.

1982 GS750EZ Cam Shaft Set, Exhaust 12700-45820

1982 GS1100SZ (Katana) Cam Shaft Set, Exhaust 12700-45820

Same part number.

Similarly,

1983 GS750SD (Katana) Cam Shaft Set, Intake 12700-45810

1983 GS1100SD (Katana) Cam Shaft, Intake 12700-45810

Again, same part number.

Looks like some of these GS750 and GS1100 cam shafts are interchangeable. Would that suggest that the cylinder spacings are also similar?

Comment

Working...
                X