clutch let go and chain fell off at same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch let go and chain fell off at same time

have an 84 GS550E, was turning on to an on ramp went to shift into 4th and clutch lever "let go" and freely moved to the handle bar and chain came off the rear sproket at the same time! the clutch lever has no tension but is connected to the cable at the handle bar, it appears to still go into the tranny, i think somthing let go internally, but not sure. i will tear into it and try to repair,, what do you guys think?

If you have a clutch push rod you probably bent it. It's under the sprocket cover.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I think chef might be onto something here. Check it out.
      The BIG question is why did the chain come off the rear sprocket and bend the push rod?

Comment

OR the cluctch cable just happened to break just at the same time the chain came off. Weirder things have happened...
        Take off the sprocket cover and have a boo.
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

hey thanks guys. turned out the chain was too loose and when it fell off it knocked the clutch cable off, and did not bend the rod! so all good there. but how much play should i have to the chain? thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by newgsman View Post
            hey thanks guys. turned out the chain was too loose and when it fell off it knocked the clutch cable off, and did not bend the rod! so all good there. but how much play should i have to the chain? thanks again
            About an inch and a half of play. The GS750ES manual says 1.2-1.6 inches.

I adjust my dirt bike chains loaded with a rider, but on my street bikes I adjust them unloaded.

Check your chain periodically, especially if it's old and replace it if it reaches the service limit.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
              About an inch and a half of play. The GS750ES manual says 1.2-1.6 inches.

I adjust my dirt bike chains loaded with a rider, but on my street bikes I adjust them unloaded.

Check your chain periodically, especially if it's old and replace it if it reaches the service limit.
              a quick question. i was adjusting the chain and before i started i noticed it was off a notch on the adjusters like they had the wheel cocked a little. so when i put the chain back on i adjusted it the same on each side. when i turned the rear wheel by hand it got to a point during rotation where the chain wanted to bind, almost like it wanted to jump the rear sproket, but get past that point and itspins free again. what is going on there?

Comment

bent wheel ?

it sounds like your wheel / axel / sprocket is bent.
                or the front sprocket / transmition shaft is bent.
                but from what you said it sounds like the wheel
                does it bind at the same place in the wheel ?

Comment

just a thought here.. I have 2 GS750s and get a slight click and impingment when the master link rolls over the back sprocket. Everything is adjusted properly and i even replaced the rear sproclet less that 2000 miles ago..dont know why it does it but its not a performance or safety issuea as far as i am conderned..still goes 100 and no prblems. one is a 77 and the other is a 78..
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by jomomsophat View Post
                    it sounds like your wheel / axel / sprocket is bent.
                    or the front sprocket / transmition shaft is bent.
                    but from what you said it sounds like the wheel
                    does it bind at the same place in the wheel ?
                    yeah, it seems to bind at the same point everytime, and rear sproket and tire seem to track straight, at least by eye

Comment

Originally posted by newgsman View Post
                      a quick question. i was adjusting the chain and before i started i noticed it was off a notch on the adjusters like they had the wheel cocked a little. so when i put the chain back on i adjusted it the same on each side. when i turned the rear wheel by hand it got to a point during rotation where the chain wanted to bind, almost like it wanted to jump the rear sproket, but get past that point and itspins free again. what is going on there?
                      most likely the chain has developed a tight spot and is worn out it sounds like it's time for a new chain and sprockets
                      if you tension it to be the right tension at the tight spot then it will most likely be too loose and come off again so replace it and the sprockets before riding it again because you won't be so lucky the next time and it will bend your clutch push-rod and then your out for a while before you get it sorted out provided you can get a new push-rod there not all that easy to come by

Comment

roll it slowly and as the master link comes around pay atention as to if it sort of just catches a bit and go around a few times and note where it happens and if it sounds the same each time..
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderman View Post
                          most likely the chain has developed a tight spot and is worn out it sounds like it's time for a new chain and sprockets
                          if you tension it to be the right tension at the tight spot then it will most likely be too loose and come off again so replace it and the sprockets before riding it again because you won't be so lucky the next time and it will bend your clutch push-rod and then your out for a while before you get it sorted out provided you can get a new push-rod there not all that easy to come by
                          that was my thought also, thanks for the second opinion. the chain is worn, pretty sloppy, ijust wonder why the wheel was off by 1 notch on the wheel adjuster

Comment

I think i would concur with spyderman here.. best bet would to be rerplace the chain and sprocket out of hand whether they looks straight by eye or not.. that way you will form sure save a lot of heartache if it does bend the clutch rod.. and dont forget about that clutch cable..you did say it got slapped by the chain.. replace it immediately too

Comment

you gotta torque that axle bolt real good too...and did you have a proper size cotter key in it???

Comment

Working...
                              X