New build: 1978 GS 550 HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New build: 1978 GS 550 HELP!!

A friend of mine gave me this bike and it has been sitting for 3 years. I have been reading all the information on the GS site and the great stuff on BassCliffs, but still have a lot of stupid questions. I will be restoring it throughout the winter with the help of by brother in law (an actual mechanic) but need help locating the specific sizes of things. This weekend we are pulling the entire fuel system to clean the fuelcock, carb and tank. I want to replace the fuel lines and add a filter in but don't know the correct line size. On z1 it lists 1/4" inside with 7/16" outside. Is this correct? Also, how can I find the specific information regarding sizes and specs on this bike?

Welcome!

Well, if you've been perusing BassCliff's site you must have missed this:

Scroll down to the bottom. Also many discussions of what to get available using the search function (try "fuel line"). The answer really depends on which line you're getting. Most 1/4" should work fine for the vacuum line. 5/16" car fuel line will probably work for fuel, but then it's also pretty thick. In the end OEM is probably your best choice. OEM fuel line is 7mm IIRC but stretches pretty nicely and makes a good fit. Stuff that doesn't stretch you'd probably need 8mm or 5/16" and clamps to make sure it's not coming off.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. nick-o,

Yes, I've been collecting a ton of useful information lately and I need to start organizing it better. I recently added a chart with information about spark plugs, sprocket and chain sizes, tire and battery sizes, fork tube diameters, etc, for Suzuki GS and other bikes. Even though you've seen my site, let me say "HOoooowwDY!"

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys for the directions. I will take some photos this weekend and will post them for everyone. If I have any more issues (and I will) I won't hesitate to ask.

Comment

Working...
        X