Gas cap lock cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas cap lock cylinder

I bought a replacement gas cap from partsnmore, and was wondering if there was any way to get the lock cylinder out of the old gas cap and put it in the new one. Nothing's wrong with the lock so I'd like to keep the keys the same. Stripped all the parts out of the old one but have no idea how to get that lock cylinder out. Don't see any screws or pins holding it in. Anyone?

shameless bump....

Comment

I believe they are crimped together when they put the top cover on. I've not had a reason to open one yet so I can't say. They are a bugger to get off a tank without a key though.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

lock cyl

Mike, when lock cyls are accessible, It is usually from the bottom. (after removing latching pawls etc. once you can see barrel, look for a brass tab protruding from side of barrel. This tab is a spring loaded plate. simply pry it fully into barrel and push cyl up and out.. Note by installing key before removal locking tumblers will be held captive. hope this helps. g In after thought, If you should be lucky enough to have new cap use the same key blank you would be wise to simply "recode" new cyl to old key by swapping (in order) old tumbler plates, luck G
        Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2009, 10:08 PM. Reason: after thought

Comment

Working...
        X