Newbie needs a little help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needs a little help.

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone. My name is Jake, and I just recently picked up a 1980 GS550e. I've got her running after rebuilding the carbs.(What a trip!) The problem that I currently have is the foot brake lever is really stiff. I cannot press it all the way down, and it doesn't come back up. I thought about maybe trying to bleed the brakes, but I'm not sure if this would help. I have dealt with quite a few bike problems before, but I don't know where to start when it comes the brakes(besides changing pads). Any help would be appreciated!

sounds like a pedal problem not a caliper problem. strip out the rear pedal, clean it up and grease up the pivot points. should cure your problem
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Ok, are you talking about the rod that it pushes up into the cylinder(not really sure what it's called)?

Comment

the whole lever itself, where it bolts and pivots on its mounting. disconnect the rod from the lever then strip the whole lot off, clean and grease
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

No he means to remove the brake pedal from the spline...pull the connecting pin that connects to the rod that pushes up on the master cylinder. Remove the brake lever shaft from the frame.. clean all the junk out of the frame hole and off the shaft that goes thru.. grease the shaft and reassemble it all
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Alright thanks guys. I'll give it a try and report back later.

Comment

Thanks guys! I still need to bleed the brakes and get out all of that beautiful brown stuff, but the lever is working much better now!

Comment

Working...
              X