help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help!

Today I pulled the carbs and put new o-rings in the intake boots on my 1980 850. the only only other thing I did was spray out the bottom of the carbs after removing the float bolts on the bottom of the float bowls, and I turned the mixture screws to about 2 and 1/4 turns out. and now the bike won't start (stated fine before this). At first I had an auxillay tank hooked up and was going to adjust the carbs. So when I couldn't get it to start, I put the tank back, and still nothing. It will turn over but just won't fire. I checked the float bowls have gas (at least the one I checked). Any ideas? terrylee

did you reinstall the air box, check for 12v to the coils. Check for spark at the plug

Comment

Sounds like you need to clean the carbs properly.

When you sprayed around in the float bowl area, you probably dislodged some crud that is now blocking a passage or two.
      Time to dismantle the carbs and do the job properly.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Sounds like you need to clean the carbs properly.

When you sprayed around in the float bowl area, you probably dislodged some crud that is now blocking a passage or two.
        Time to dismantle the carbs and do the job properly.

I second what Steve said. There is really no shortcut here. It may take a couple days, but it is well worth it. Get those carbs spotless with a good soaking in berrymans, carb spray and compressed air. I would also check your float heights when they are apart.

Good luck!

Rick

Comment

Working...
        X