Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

light green wire?

Hi;

While cleaning things in my 1981 Suzuki GS 1100 EX, noticed a light green wire disconnected. It was below the air filter box, right beside the battery. The funny thing is, (as far as I know), everything was working. Still, I figured it needed to be plugged in, so I did -but have not noticed anything different. Anybody know what it's for? I've tried tracing the "Lg" ("light green") wire on my wiring diagram, but it gets confusing very quickly -especially since my wiring diagram is fuzzy to start with so you can't zoom in on it.

Thanks!

Northernex

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Northernex,

If I'm reading my wiring diagram right (there's a pretty good GS1100 wiring diagram on my website), the Lg wire goes from the left hand controls to the right turn signals.

Now let me just say "HOoooowwDY"

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

light green wire

Thanks!

And a special thanks for the warm welcome!!

Re: light-green wire -my signal lights were (are) working fine when the wire was unplugged. (including acting as running lights). So, I'm wondering what it was there for, or more to the point, if I should keep it unplugged. At my last visit to the dealer, he informed me he had "done something" to improve the charging system in my bike. Least it's not obvious -electrical stuff scares me!

Confused.

Comment

The light green wire that goes under the battery box is for your "BATTERY" light on the dash panel. Does it stay ON? Or has the bulb been removed?

In the original battery, there was a port with a sensor that would verify existance of electrolyte in that cell. If a replacement battery did not have that port, many owners would simply remove the sensor and either ignore the light or remove the bulb.

If the light is ON, you can either remove the bulb or connect the green wire to a switched power source (tail lights) so that it 'sees' power when the key is ON.

If you want to see it on a wiring diagram, it's on page 450 of this document. The battery is in the bottom row, the seventh item from the right corner. It's the last rectangular object. The electrolyte sensor is on the left side of the battery (still inside the rectangle), its wire jogs right, around the oil pressure switch, through a connector, jogs right again, then goes straight up to the Check Panel Control Unit.

Last edited by Steve; 09-06-2009, 11:42 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Northernex View Post
          "done something" to improve the charging system in my bike.
          He may have removed the "looped" stator wire and went direct to the RR or it could be the wire for your battery sensor and your indicator bulb has been removed.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

light green wire

Thanks, Bonanzadave and Steve;

There is a green wire coming from the battery electolyte sensosr which is still in place and in use -it's a darker green wire. As far as the instrument light being removed, I actually had just finished digging into my instument panel (had to replace the glass over the trip meter section) and the light bulb is there, and lights up when the key is in start position without the motor running. As far as I know, the sensor is still operational.

The looped stator wire may be the answer. Sure appreciate the help!!

Comment

Steve;

When I tried the "document" link, the pdf failed to load saying it was corrupt or faulty.

Comment

Originally posted by Northernex View Post
                Steve;

When I tried the "document" link, the pdf failed to load saying it was corrupt or faulty.
                Hi,

That's a direct link to a 37MB manual on my website. You might try to right-click and "Save as...". I just tried that link and it downloaded OK for me. Visit my website and help yourself to whatever's there.

If a previous owner has replaced the regulator/rectifier with a Honda part, for example, that green wire could be a ground. But I really doubt this is the case. Have you located both ends of that wire?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

green wire

It's been my bike since new, and, with 18,000 kms hasn't been repaired in any way mechanically. I'll try tracing the wiring -and I'll re-try the links. They sure look excellent!

Blessings

Comment

Working...
                  X