Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constantly running on RES

Hi,

When I was on a trip a long long time ago, I had switched over to the 'reserve' on the fuel petcock, as I was experiencing a power loss when running the normal 'ON'. I never changed that setting again, so I'm constantly running on RES and know when to get gas by looking at the odometer...

1) is it a bad thing, having the bike constantly on 'RES' ?

2) what could cause the problem in the 'ON' position ? I guess that running 'ON' or 'RES' is using the same fuel hose ?

thanks

gert

It's not bad to run on RES, except that there won't be any RES if you start to run out of gas Yes, the use the same fuel hose to your carbs.

You could just have some blockage in the fuel pickup screen. How's the cleanliness of your tank? Might just be time to get a new petcock, and give the tank a good cleaning.

Comment

I just went to Z1 Enterprises so i wouldnt be making a misquote here. Ther do have rebuild kits for that bike there for the petcock....might be worth checking it out
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Just an opinion here but I would just buy a new petcock and be done with it. I tried a rebuild kit and it just made the problem worse (for me). Spend the $50 and call it a done deal for as long as you own the bike.

Comment

Take your petcock out and see what it needs, could be a blocked screen or something else easy to fix. Very easy to take a look.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X