Engine dying after riding a while.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine dying after riding a while.

Yesterday my friends dad and I took apart my carbs and cleaned them up a little bit. Mainly we fixed a sticky float and cleaned some of the jets. The reason we did this is because gas would drip out of my carbs after the bike stopped running sometimes and i thought it was causing a bogging problem after i was riding for a while. I rode for over 3 hours last night and did not have this problem at all. This morning I rode for about an hour and had this problem 2 o three times. Each time i can stop and wait for a little bit and eventually itll start back up. I can tell its going to happen before it does because I lose power and when you stop it wont idle and stalls out and then you have to wait to start it. Also if you try to rev it just eventually bogs and dies. Its and 81 GS550T and has about 7000 miles on it. I was thinking its still a carb problem or possibly and ignition/coil problem? Any thoughts?

Sounds like carb rebuild time. You're probably flooding out and the waiting period just lets it clear.

Comment

bad float needle/seats?

Comment

Are we certain it's not starving for fuel intermittently? Have you tried running it on prime to see if the problem goes away?

Comment

You have 1 or more leaking float valves or the float height(s) need adjusting. Too much fuel in the bowl will make it run rich and can stall the motor/foul the plug. Try cleaning the float valve and seat of any dirt. You may have to replace if worn or a weak spring. Next check the float height.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I have/had the same problem. Turned out to be mainly the petcock. trouble seems to have dissapeared after I bought a new petcock. Also, my valve was extremely difficult to turn even with pliers. NEw one is SMOOOOTh
            I still have very minor hessitation problems, but I think its a kinked vacuum hose to the petcock.

Comment

the petcock is difficult to turn, but pliers are not needed. When we were working on it i noticed there is a hose coming out the top of the petcock with a screw in it to block the hose up. Is that supposed to be there? How can you test the petcock to see if its bad? I will try running it on prime today, i got the rebuild kits, so i think im gonna rebuild them anyway, hopefully my clymers is here today also.

Comment

Fuel Problems

Sounds as if your vacuum line is blocked off. This could be done for any number of reasons, but I would bet tha tthe floats began to stick ,and the previous owner plugged the vacuum line to stop the flow of fuel. Problem is, when you do this, you starve it for fuel !!

I would say replace the petcock and at least that problem will be resolved.

Comment

if its REALLY difficult to turn, it might need replacing. The rebuild kits dont come with the hardware to replace the part that gets stiff. is there a screw IN the petcock or in the hose? if its in the hose, thats the vacuum line. there SHOULDNT be a screw in that... replace the line. Then see if that helps..

Comment

its a little hose that comes out of the top of it only about an inch long and right now it has a screw in it, doesnt look like it hooks up to anything else

Comment

That sounds like the vac line, it would normally go from the petcock down to the number 2 carb. Sometimes the petcock goes bad, and starts leaking gas thru that line, which would explain the screw.

Comment

Petcock

Okay, you should have a line coming out of the petcock, and running to the fuel rail (or carbs) then another one coming out of the petcock and running to a vacuum port on the carbs or engine..That vacuum line, disengages the diaphragm in the petcock, and allows fuel to flow through the petcock, and into the carbs. If htat diaphragm starts leaking, it will overfolw into the bowls, if the floats do not stop the flow of fuel. It is kind of a 2 part "fool proof" system of not overflowing the carbs with fuel.
                        Someone may have removed the diaphragm, and plugged off the vacuum line, to avoid sucking raw fuel into the vacuum port. so, it is either starving for fuel, or flooding fuel, and dumping the excess fuel out into the airbox. :arrow: Replace the petcock and re run the vacuum hose.

Comment

ok, went out, took the screw out of the petcock and ran the line coming out of the carb with a screw in it also into the petcock, bike ran but got gas coming out the exhaust, im assuming this means a bad petcock. I think im gonna order one, does anybody know if there is any aftermarket ones that are better and or cheaper?

Comment

petcock

I have actually seen several on Ebay in the past... I think they're around 35 bucks from Suzuki.. Arlington Suzuki in Arlington, Texas stocks them..

Comment

It certainly sounds like you have petcock problems. I would invest in a new one, even if you're forced to pay those thieves at the dealer. Then, don't waste that new petcock on a dirt-filled or rusted tank. Take the opportunity of thoroughly examining the tank while you change over the petcock. If the tank is in poor condition inside or is full of dirt, seek the advice of your local shop about cleaning and coating the inside of the tank.

If you buy your petcock at a bricks and mortar store, have them explain how the vacuum line, etc., is supposed to function. If buying that petcock via the 'net, ask us.

Is a Clymer manual or factory service manual available for your bike? Spend the money. Either can be cheap on Ebay. I saw a new Clymer manual for my 1100 sell for 4.95 USD recently! I paid 12.00 USD on Ebay for mine a couple of years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X