Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to get fuel safe rubber grommets

Hey folks,

I'm wondering where i could find Fuel Safe Rubber Grommets.
    I am installing an external fuel sight gauge that requires fuel safe rubber that will be constantly submerged on Gas.

I'm using a Bolt in tire valve stem inside a Jack Daniels bottle for fuel to flow through to show fuel level in the tank but I'm having a problem sealing it up for long periods of time.

it seals up great with water, but fuel slowly eats the rubber grommet inside till the seal breaks.

Its about a half inch thick (tall) with a 1/4 inch hole for the stem to pass through.

You can see the rubber on the lower half of the valve stem in the following picture.

I'm also open to other suggestions on other materials that might work too.
    I like the rubber for the top at the bottle cap so when i tighten the nut down on the valve stem, it expands the rubber tight to the inside of the bottle and seals everything up, but again, I'm open to other options too.

Thanks guys.

Josh

I have nothing to suggest, but I like that.

Comment

Ha Ha

I believe that's the funniest picture I've ever seen on this forum!

Good show!
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by Raven457 View Post
        I have nothing to suggest, but I like that.
        Yeah I like it too, as long as I can get it to work. I had it rigged up before with JB weld which was the totally wrong choice before. So I cane up with the tire valve stem idea which apparently has its own faults. I think the bottle looks cooler then the simple clear tube that's been used a million times before. But if I can't get this to work, I might resort

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
          I believe that's the funniest picture I've ever seen on this forum!

Good show!
          Funny? Us there something in the background of one of the photos I missed? I KNEW I shoulda out on pants to take the pictures

Comment

Chuckycheese chuckled

Originally posted by jmlcolorado View Post
            Funny? Us there something in the background of one of the photos I missed? I KNEW I shoulda out on pants to take the pictures
            I hope you didn't think I meant any offense because I certainly didn't!!

It's very clever but....dang it, it's funny!
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
              I hope you didn't think I meant any offense because I certainly didn't!!

It's very clever but....dang it, it's funny!
              No offence taken my friend.

The bike is built to get a little attention. Despite some bad attention, it still thrives for it

Its a tiny bike with tons of attitude.
              So long as it puts a smile on someones face.

Comment

No offence taken my friend.

The bike is built to get a little attention. Despite some bad attention, it still thrives for it

Its a tiny bike with tons of attitude.
                So long as it puts a smile on someones face.
                lovely looking bike you got there mate. good job. lovin the JD fuel gauge
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  lovely looking bike you got there mate. good job. lovin the JD fuel gauge

Thank you very much. It was never intended to look like this. In fact, my goal on the thing was "to make it the ugliest bike the world has ever seen"

I picked it up out of a guys garage for free, including the 3 gallons of 10 year old gas still festering in the tank and carbs.

I got into it and this is what i came up with. Its my first build and im learning alot on the way.

The frame is actually gloss black powdercoated now. it will end up with forwards, black powdercoated lower fork tubes, tripple trees and a few other odds and ends. It'll also get a set of fully adjustable clip on style bars.

Just when i think this thing is completly done, i get another idea.
                  guess ill have to get an updated photo on here.

Comment

Thank you very much. It was never intended to look like this. In fact, my goal on the thing was "to make it the ugliest bike the world has ever seen"

I picked it up out of a guys garage for free, including the 3 gallons of 10 year old gas still festering in the tank and carbs.

I got into it and this is what i came up with. Its my first build and im learning alot on the way.

The frame is actually gloss black powdercoated now. it will end up with forwards, black powdercoated lower fork tubes, tripple trees and a few other odds and ends. It'll also get a set of fully adjustable clip on style bars.

Just when i think this thing is completly done, i get another idea.
                    guess ill have to get an updated photo on here.
                    personally i like the bars you have on it but its your ride. some updated pics would be good.
                    very good for a freebie and a first build. you learn a lot from hands on experience
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The tire valve stems should work, but with Buna-n or Viton washers instead of whatever the original washers are:

Something like this: (Hope this link works...)
                      McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi jml, I don't know if they deal retail, but Colorado Rubber always had a large selection of materials/products when I was still working. If they don't deal with the public, they should be able to direct you to someone who handles either nitrile or viton. Ray
                        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Ghostgs1 and bwringer,

Thanks guys!!! Ill try both places. That on line place looks pretty promising. Thats exactly what i was looking for. I knew there was a name for the proper material just couldn't think of of the top of my head.

Thanks a ton. This is why i visit this site more then any other site out there. Extremely helpfully.

Comment

http://www.mcmaster.com web site has EVERYTHING!!!

Man i wish i knew about that place a long time ago!!!

Thanks a bunch

Comment

Working...
                            X