Vance Hines Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vance Hines Exhaust

I picked up a 1983 750ED and it has an Vance Hines 4 and 1 exhaust. It sounded neat for the first two weeks but now I would like to quiet the thing down. I took off the end of the exhaust and pulled the baffle???off I believe it's called and noticed some material bunched up looks like insulation.. Would anyone have an idea what the product is ... as I would assume more of it or at least enough to cover the baffle would quiet it down some....I can post a picture if it would help...

Picture 1 of the muffler Baffle off...

Comment

Second of it just hanging out. The material that came out was white but more black then white

Comment

I believe that the material is fiberglass and can be replaced.

Eric

Comment

Steel wool can also be used, just as Hoomgar!

Comment

It's only fiberglass. You can use plain old house insulation, or get some fiberglass mat, from a parts house. If you wrap a piece of screen wire around the baffel, & secure it with wire or hose clamps, before installing the fiberglass, the fiberglass won't blow out as quick. Just my opinion.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks guys but steel wool would make it louder or would it be better to get insulation but I would assume it would be special high insulation...correct

Comment

Cool thanks again for the quick responses... my neighbours are going to appreciate it very much...

Comment

Steel Wool works too but it will rust so I'd replace it each season. If you decide to use 'glass I suggest tha you bind it with SS safety wire. Don't pack too much or you'll defeat the megaphone's effectiveness even more. Megaphone pipes have a wider powerband. The all metal baffle will limit most of the noise without losing too much of its effectiveness. When you begin to pack a bunch of material around the baffle tube the header behaves more like a straight header with a narrower band.

Comment

I think we covered this in another recent thread. I got long strand fiberglass to repack my muffler here....

As Rphillips said, ideally, wrap a piece of aluminum screen around the baffle first, and then wrap the fiberglass over it, to increase it's longevity (though it should last a few years even without the screen). On a straight-through design like yours (and mine), the packing will make a difference in sound levels at lower revs, and steady-throttle cruising on the highway.....at higher revs, the difference is negligible, probably due to the gas/sound taking the most direct path out, with less diffusion through the baffle.

Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

The factory packing is much higher density than house insulation or steel wool. Most motorcycle shops sell rolls of packing material for $20, which is enough to repack the muffler two times. Seems silly to monkey around with anything other than the real stuff. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMF-4...=p4506.c0.m245
                      Last edited by Nessism; 09-08-2009, 10:14 PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The link I posted has it available for $8.00....disregard the 'sale ends today' warning. Specify shipping to Canada via USPS mail, to save more, if you can wait.
                        Tony.
                        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I used the 8 dollar fibreglas mat on my V&H 4 into 1.

I did a double wrap with wire around it. Made a BIG difference.

Comment

I take the glass out, all it does is hold moisture & rot the pipe out if you dont ride it far enough each time to dry it out. There is an outfit on the net that sells repacement packing but yould have to do a search to find it. Have you tried calling Vance & Hines ?
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Okay, I’ve got some of the material, but I could not manage to get the baffle out. Seemed like you’d just take the bolt out of the side and slide, but mine won’t budge. Any suggestions? (It’s not real loud, but it’s been on the bike about eight years and it’s louder now than I’d like.)
                              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Working...
                              X