Ignition switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition switch question

My lock ignition was stuck in park, and after much WD-40ing and wiggling it wouldn't budge so I've taken it out to put in a new one.
    Now my question:
    If I connect the battery, and just turn the white thing (that the key would be turning otherwise) manually, it clicks inbetween the positions but nothing happens (neutral light doesn't come on/ won't start etc.). It seems that there is a connector on the top of the ignition lock assembly, connecting to the bottom of the speedo cluster-- is the lack of that connection the problem? As in, is there a way to simply twist the white circular thing between it's positions and run the bike?

(So you don't think I'm crazy for wanting to do this, I'm mostly just curious. And it lets the bike be mobile while waiting for the new switch to arrive.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS. Hi all! This is my first post thread here!
    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

sounds predddy skedddy.

who wants to tell this fella how to hot wire a Suzuki?
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

I'd like to know where to get the outer plastic sleeve, the one with LOCK OFF RUN PARK printed on it.

Comment

It always helps if you identify the bike....some things are specific to the year/model.

On my GS1100G/GK the ignition switch can be disassembled completely.

You first put the switch into a large, clear, plastic bag (like the ones you get with dry-cleaning. They give you lots of room to work inside, and since everything is inside (tools included ) you avoid losing the springs and balls that will come loose and try to hide.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
          hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

sounds predddy skedddy.

I'm with you on this one...
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
            hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

hahaha... so, until you put it in those terms I didn't realize that's basically what I was asking!
            But this process of getting my lock of did make me realize that those steering locks are really entirely useless!! I could just as easily have not had that on--it's only now gone one to cause me the inconvenience of changing it!!

She's a GS450L 1983. My first bike, so I'm new to working on them.

Cheers,
            -r-

Comment

Working...
            X