Actual stock rear tire size gs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actual stock rear tire size gs1100

who out there has a stock 1982 gs1100e or katana rear tire.

I am told it is a 114/88-17. Frankly I can't remember and all the bikes I have had were 130/90. I know the manual says 4.50 but, don't know what that translates to.
    Last edited by katman; 09-08-2009, 09:08 PM.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

130/90x17 is what ure after

Comment

The standard 4.50 width is indeed right in between the 110 and 120 width.

Here's a handy chart:

sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
        130/90x17 is what ure after

mine had a 140...here is the take off

Comment

The rim is a 2.50 so a 130 tire is appropriate. Using a 140 will force the sidewalls to pinch inward too much.

My old 550T had a 4.25 tire and it looked very similar in width to a 120. I think a 4.50 would be at least as wide as a 120 despite the measured theoretical width which would suggest narrower.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Most folks with that bike run a 130/90-17 with excellent results.

A 120/90-17 would probably be closer to the original size, but I think that size doesn't exist any more, at least not in a reputable brand.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              mine had a 140...here is the take off

Someone committed a crime upon your bike -- glad you got it changed.

You can stuff a 140/70 or 140/80 on there, and lots of goobers did so, but that doesn't make it right. The bike handles soooooo much better with the correct size tire.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

OK thanks but,

I am after the stock measurement for the original bike. I believe it is 114/88-17 that originally came with the bike.

thanks for the responses.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                  114/88-17

Is that a typo or something? Not sure what you're asking, really.

The stock size was mentioned above, and it's on the fiche -- 4.50VX17. You're simply not going to find that exact tire size -- no one has made them for a decade or so.

Are you going for a 100 point restoration or do you want to ride?
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Is that a typo or something? Not sure what you're asking, really.

The stock size was mentioned above, and it's on the fiche -- 4.50VX17. You're simply not going to find that exact tire size -- no one has made them for a decade or so.

Are you going for a 100 point restoration or do you want to ride?
                    was interested in the number that was on the stock tire
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Back in the day I think the aspect ratio was 100% of the width so from a theoritical standpoint you want a 114/100-17.

BTW, 120/90-17 tires are available - Avon makes a Roadrider in that size.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                        OK thanks but,

I am after the stock measurement for the original bike. I believe it is 114/88-17 that originally came with the bike.

thanks for the responses.
                        It came with a 4.50V17, probably a Bridgestone Mag Mopus. If you multiply 4.5 by 25.4 (number of millimeters in 1 inch) you will get 114.3.

English to metric conversions usually result in compound fractions. I would go with a 120/90V17 or a 130/90V17

Comment

Thanks "Rudeman" I guess I will have to settle for that.
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Ok,

I just finnished a sheet of info on my site. I have posted some charts that may help a few people.

top speed changes with sprocket teeth. rpm changes, mph and kph. These are for 1100 bikes only but they give a good picture of the pattern of change with the number of teeth changed.

bottom of the page. http://www.robwilton.com/sprockets_gearing.html
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

"When you you got your bike it probably had a 130/90-17 tire on it. The stock tire for a 1982 and 1983 Gs1100 Katana is 114/88-17 (4.50v 17) This has already changed your gearing by 3 mph (5 kph) @ 4000 rpm. The 130 tire is larger than the stock one so you are traveling 66 mph (106.5 kph) @ 4000 rpm instead of 62 mph (100 kph)"

Don't be misleading and allow people to thing that when their speedo says 62 mph, that they are really going 66. That's not true. The speedo runs off the front tire so no matter what the gearing to the rear is, the front is correct if the right tire is on front. Maybe you should stipulate that? or at least take out the extra "you" at the beginning of that paragraph?

EDIT: I know you aren't actually saying that your speedo is off, but it's easy enough for someone to think that is what you are saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X