Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Need of Exhaust Help

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and have a quick series of questions. I have a 1980 GS1000E and found someone selling a Vance & Hines 4-1 race exhaust. I am curious about how much I will need to mod the chassis to make the exhaust fit. I also need to know how loud the race pipes are compared to the regular model.

Thanks A bunch

I thought the Race pipe was sans baffle, not positive on that though.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Make sure it is not a DRAG pipe, it sticks out the right side and DRAGS in every right hander.
      Just about useless on the street.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Welcome to the site, Thornea.
        You should not have to make any mods to the chassis but you will probably have to rejet the carbs.
        The 4-1 will be considerably louder. I like the volume and tone.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Seems you need a little more imfo. Is the pipe designed for road race, or drag race. The road race pipes give great cornering clearence, the drag pipes have nearly no cornering clearence. Like he said, not positive, just my opinion
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Only chassis mod that I can think of is perhaps you will have to lose the center stand.

... to GSR!

Eric

Comment

Probably have to fab up a simple rear bracket as well. Can you post any pics of it? that would be extremely helpful.

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. The craigslist add says they are drag race set up and require chassis mod, thats why I asked. lets see if I can post the pics...

Comment

Yup, as teet and I have said that should be about it.

Eric

Comment

If it is an open drag pipe it will definately be loud, you will have to rejet the carbs too!

Comment

Originally posted by thornea View Post
                      Thanks for all the info guys. The craigslist add says they are drag race set up and require chassis mod, thats why I asked. lets see if I can post the pics...

I may be mistaken but I thought both the Sidewinder and the Street Pipe were bolt-ons and didn't require any mods. Depending on how much he is asking it may be better just to buy a V&H Street Pipe new; they are everywhere for around $300. It is a bolt-on. Not sure about centerstand retention but I would remove it anyway; looks MUCH cleaner.

Comment

The race pipes are usually muuuuuuch cheeeeper, but you get what you pay for. A sidewinder for st. use isn't a good idea. Having to remove the centerstand isn't a handy idea either, unless you don't oil your chain or change your rear tire. I love my Yosh 4 into 1, for my GS 1100 "E", but never use it, just cause I must remove the centerstand. Just my opinion.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                          The race pipes are usually muuuuuuch cheeeeper, but you get what you pay for. A sidewinder for st. use isn't a good idea. Having to remove the centerstand isn't a handy idea either, unless you don't oil your chain or change your rear tire. I love my Yosh 4 into 1, for my GS 1100 "E", but never use it, just cause I must remove the centerstand. Just my opinion.
                          Prior to getting my Gold Stand I used to reattach my center stand w/o the spring and use it for a work stand. In the down position it will clear the header. Once you rotate it over center on the center stand the weight of the bike will keep it in place. When you are done working roll it off the center stand and rest the bike on the side stand and remove the center stand. It's not brain surgery.

Do you want to sell your Yosh Header?

Comment

OK guys,

Thanks for all the help, it doesn't sound like these are the pipes for me. Last thing i need is something that drags. I still have a couple questions though.

Do the drag pipes and the street pipes use the same header?

Do you need to re-jet for street pipes or just re-sync?
                            Will this change with the addition of cone filters?

Comment

Originally posted by thornea View Post
                              OK guys,

Thanks for all the help, it doesn't sound like these are the pipes for me. Last thing i need is something that drags. I still have a couple questions though.

Do the drag pipes and the street pipes use the same header?

Do you need to re-jet for street pipes or just re-sync?
                              Will this change with the addition of cone filters?

No, they are different. The street pipes follow a path toward the midline of the bike the drag pipe is offset to the right side. You should always re-jet for any changes made to the induction and exhaust system of your motor. Re synch ing the carbs is good practice too.
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2009, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X