Fuel/tank questions for GS650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel/tank questions for GS650GL

Do you guys know how big my tank is, and what kind of MPG or range I should be getting with the bike? It's a GS650GL. It's my first bike and I've had it for just one week. Seems to me like it's pretty close to 2 gallons, and I get just over 100 miles on a tank. Just want to make sure I'm pretty close with this.

I guess the second part of the question is: will a bigger tank fit on the bike? What other model GS tanks will fit, if any? I've been going on a lot of long rides and would love to not have to refuel every single day.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
    Do you guys know how big my tank is, and what kind of MPG or range I should be getting with the bike? It's a GS650GL. It's my first bike and I've had it for just one week. Seems to me like it's pretty close to 2 gallons, and I get just over 100 miles on a tank. Just want to make sure I'm pretty close with this.

I guess the second part of the question is: will a bigger tank fit on the bike? What other model GS tanks will fit, if any? I've been going on a lot of long rides and would love to not have to refuel every single day.

Thanks!
    Some of the L frames have the place where the E frame front tank mount would go, but it's not there. So perhaps you could weld the mount on and cut off the L mount?
    On second thought, just sell the L and buy an E. Way more better.
    What was I thinking?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The tank is 3.2 gallons and new it gets 48 to 57 mpg. Good luck

Comment

Another alternative would be to add an additional fuel cell to the bike.

Like the ones on this site http://www.tourtank.com/

I get about 120 miles between fill ups on my 750L with the standard tank. If I was going to do long distance touring, I would consider an extra tank.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. The fuel gage is working properly, but at 3.2 gallons I should be able to get over 150 miles/tank. Been getting a steady 50mpg.

Comment

That includes your reserve not sure how much that is. My son has a Gs650l he picked up from Tas850g and what a fun bike it is I would say it's getting at least 50 mpg but havent really had a chance to go thru a couple of tanks to see for sure. Good luck

Comment

I've been going on a lot of long rides and would love to not have to refuel every single day.
              I like this guy. He thinks he has to fill it up every day on a long ride.
              Nosirree, Bob. A LONG ride is when you have to fill it several times in one day. My bike can go over 200 miles on a tank, and I have been on several rides where I had to fill it three or four times on the same day. For several days in a row.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              On second thought, just sell the L and buy an E. Way more better. What was I thinking?
              Even better, get an 850. The G model has a 5.8 gallon tank, the '82-and-up 850L has a 4.3 gallon tank. MPG still in the 40-50 range.

Thanks a lot guys. The fuel gage is working properly, but at 3.2 gallons I should be able to get over 150 miles/tank. Been getting a steady 50mpg.
              That 3.2 gallons is TOTAL capacity, including the one-gallon reserve. You are working off of just 2.2 gallons before having to go to reserve. If you plan on the entire 3.2 gallons, have some comfortable shoes because you will be pushing the bike into many gas stations.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I like this guy. He thinks he has to fill it up every day on a long ride.
                That 3.2 gallons is TOTAL capacity, including the one-gallon reserve. You are working off of just 2.2 gallons before having to go to reserve. If you plan on the entire 3.2 gallons, have some comfortable shoes because you will be pushing the bike into many gas stations.

YEAH...I would not use the 1 gal reserve for anything more than balast.
                I've never run out but I can tell you this much. At the 120 mile mark YOU BETTER be looking for the next source of fuel...an old tractor if need be! Several tanks a day is not uncommon on the 650L but I'd rather push my L than ride a.....................................um, on second thought, no I wouldn't. I just plan for fuel stops. You need the stretch anyway.

Comment

On my L there is no reserve.

Comment

No reserve on mine, either. When it's gone, it's gone...............

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                      On my L there is no reserve.
                      Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                      No reserve on mine, either. When it's gone, it's gone...............
                      Well, it's not because of the tank, it's because of that 1980 petcock.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Well, it's not because of the tank, it's because of that 1980 petcock.

The 1980 petcock is still working, so I haven't fixed it..........

Comment

Working...
                        X