Quick Carb Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Carb Questions

Hello everyone. I have some really simple questions I would like some information on. Here it goes:

1) The carb spec sheet sticky says "pilot screw 3.5 turns back (mixture screw)". By pilot screw do they mean the actual pilot jet or the brass nob outside of the carbs between carb 2 and 3?

2) Is the rubber stopper on top of the pilot jet hole really necessary? Will the bike still function without it?

3) There is a small metal disc inside the channel that contains my airscrews. Should I leave the screws or try and drill the small disc out (can't get it out with pliers)?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Mixture srews should be about 2 to 2.5 and then fine tune them from there. You can drill the caps out to get to them but be sure not to drill to far or you will ruin the screw and they are hard to find. as for the rubber plugs i'm not to sure on those.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

1) The carb spec sheet sticky says "pilot screw 3.5 turns back (mixture screw)". By pilot screw do they mean the actual pilot jet or the brass nob outside of the carbs between carb 2 and 3?
      Clarification here, it may say "pilot screw", but it is really an "idle mixture adjustment screw". As kparkfan suggested, somewhere between 2 and 3 turns out from lightly seated is a good starting point. It will need to be fine-tuned from there.

The "brass [k]nob" between carbs 2&3 is your master idle speed adjustment. It has nothing to do with adjusting any fuel mixtures.

2) Is the rubber stopper on top of the pilot jet hole really necessary? Will the bike still function without it?
      Is it necessary? Yes. Will it function? Yes. Barely. Will it work well? NO. If you forgot the plug and are asking if you can ignore it, NO. Take the carbs back off, remove the float bowls, put the plugs back in.

3) There is a small metal disc inside the channel that contains my airscrews. Should I leave the screws or try and drill the small disc out (can't get it out with pliers)?
      Once again, you don't have simple "airscrews". If you are referring to the "idle mixture adjustment screw", yes, there is a disc there that is meant to keep us from tampering with the EPA-mandated setting of the screw. Best method to remove is to use a small drill (not over 1/8"), go very carefully. The disc is aluminum, so it drills easily. It is only about 1/8" thick, then there is about 1/8" of space before the adjustment screw. You don't want to hit the screw and damage the slot in the head. When you have the hole drilled, screw a drywall screw into the hole and pull the disc out.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys. Sorry Steve about the laymens terms. Still trying to get a good solid understanding of things. Thanks again!

Comment

No problem, just wanted to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

The older VM carbs do have fuel screws and air screws, but the BS carbs have mixture screws.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X