How to select a used engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to select a used engine.

I'm buying a used 750 engine from a local salvage. I have two to choose from and would like to choose the best of the two. It's easy enough to test if they are locked up and in reality I'll likely rebuild the top ends anyway but I'd like to be sure I get one with a good transmission and bottom. Are there some things I can check in the field (literally) that can help me decide which one has the best chance of having a good tranny? Both engines are GS750 vintage 1977, are off the frames and not running. Is there a way to check transmission play and or proper shifting? I'm just trying to increase the odds here.

It's best to pull the pan and inspect the gears, shifting forks, and other parts for mischief. Metal in the bottom of the pan is a bad sign as well. I assume you are going to replace the clutch but the cage should be inspected as well, and that means a side cover has to come off.

Honestly most bone yards are not happy about disassembling two motors when you only buy one. But the price CAN reflect the uncertainty of what you are buying and if you get two for the price of one the odds are you can come up with everything you need to make a good power plant and sell what you don't need.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
      Honestly most bone yards are not happy about disassembling two motors when you only buy one. But the price CAN reflect the uncertainty of what you are buying and if you get two for the price of one the odds are you can come up with everything you need to make a good power plant and sell what you don't need.
      That's a very good point.

Comment

Depending on what they are charging for the engine, it may be worthwhile to get an entire parts bike.

Comment

Most places will not allow disasembly. So it's a gamble. Buying a complete parts bike is a better option if you can find one. You could also find a GS1000 motor and put it in your 750

Comment

Working...
          X