Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Stud Bolt

Hi guys,

Greeting from Denmark, Europe First post on this great forum that I have been lurking on for a while.

I have a problem that I hope someone can help me out with.

To make a long story short one of the Stud Bolts have broken of a few inches above the crank case on my GG650G Katana. It is the outer left one at the back of the engine (not carb side) the one that has oil running in the same channel as the bolt goes through and has a chrome bolt. This is unfortunately giving me an oil leak which is most prodominant at high revs. I have an extra bolt lying around so here's my question:

Is is possible to undo all the bolts on the cylinder head and lift both the cylinder head on the cylinder up in one piece so that I may unscrew the broken stud bolt? The reason why I want to do this is so that I don't have to remove the cams and mess with the timing afterwards. My main concern is with the camchain and cam chain guides. How much play does it have if I release the cam chain tensioner and is it at all possible with the cam chain guides installed? I would think that raising the cylinder about 1½ inch would be enough to be able to remove the stud.

Is this even possible or do I have to go the rute of removing the cams to give me the slack I need?

Thank you in advance.

impossible the whole top end needs to be removed. you will need to replace all the gaskets once the seal has been broken. plus you wont get the 11/2" clearance you require.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Would be helpful to know what year bike you have...

As far as I know (not familiar with your engine) the cam chain is looped around the main crank, so the only way to "lift" the cylinders enough to do what you are suggesting would be to remove the head & cams to release the chain...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

My bike is a GS650G Katana from 1983, I did write this in my initial post

Hmm seems like I have to bite the bullet and remove the cams then. Guess I knew this already but would have loved to take the easy rute...

Comment

we all like the easy route but sometimes its not always possible.if the gasket leaks already then if you lift the top end, chances are it will leak even worse once put back together.
          that would mean a top end rebuild anyway so you may as well do it properly first time around
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
          X