Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie again! Ignition key switch wiring help

Hi all,

I have an '82 Suzuki GS650GL which I'm trying to get on the road. It hasnt been ridden since the fall of 1998.

It does not have its original instrument cluster, and hence does not have its original Ignition key switch on it. It has an after market universal ignition key switch which is all corroded so I bought another similar one.

Now, The ignition key switch I have has 3 connection points and according to the diagram that came with the key switch it says connect point 1 to battery, point 2 to Ignition and point 3 to Accessory.

I have 4 wires coming out of my headlamp to be connected to the ignition key switch. Red, Orange, Gray and Brown.

My question is : Can anybody please tell me which wire goes to which connection points??

I have the clymer manual with the color coded wiring diagram, but I cannot make out head or tail of it.

I would greatly appreciate any help from you experts out there.

Thanks,

Anuj

I don't have diagram for you bike, would say red/battery orange/ ign
    gray/ lights? brown/tail light (parking)

Comment

I don't have diagram for you bike, would say red/battery orange/ ign
      gray/ lights? brown/tail light (parking)
      Well, from the diagram it kinda looks like that. But what would the connections in the ignition key switch be? Red to the battery connection? Orange to the ignition connection? and gray and brown both to the accessory connection?

If I email/send you a copy of the wiring diagram would you be able to further assist me?

Please let me know and thanks for helping me out.

Anuj

Comment

Just forget about the brown wire. The original switch had a parking position that would allow you to leave the tail light on for visability while the bike was parked, double check the tail light to make sure that it works

Comment

Thanks a lot. I'll try that. My battery is not installed yet, i need to charge it first, but i'll try your suggestion for red to battery, orange to ignition and gray for lights.

I'll letcha know if it worked.

Thanks,

Anuj

Comment

Just forget about the brown wire. The original switch had a parking position that would allow you to leave the tail light on for visability while the bike was parked, double check the tail light to make sure that it works
            Thanks a lot SqDancerLynn1,

I connected the wires on the ignition key-switch as you suggested and it worked fine except for the tail lights, so I connected the brown and gray wires together in the accessory position and now it works just like its sposed to. Thanks for your input and expertise.

Anuj

Comment

Working...
            X