Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idles rough on first startup, right exhaust cold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idles rough on first startup, right exhaust cold.

My bike doesn't idle great on the first startup. As if it's only running on one cylinder.. And tada, when I touched the right pipe it was cold to the touch when the left one was warm. If I rev it up to about 3000 RPM it feels like the right one starts firing.

Otherwsie, on full choke on first startup it'll idle at 1000 RPM's and sometimes die. Once driving, it runs great, but that first idle is killer.

Could it be a carb sync? I havn't done one since I put the new engine in. The valves are adjusted to spec, and the carbs are cleaned. Pilot screws at 1.75 turns out (spec is 1.5).

Try adjusting the pilot out more, most GS bikes run best at 2.5+ turns.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Cold Pipe

I recently had a similar problem with my 82 450gad. Not sure if this is any help. Upon starting the bike cold with choke seemed like no power while waiting to warm up. Reached to feel header pipe right side and it was cool to touch. I reached for the plug boot and raised it off the plug and the cylinder began to fire and the rpm's rose tremendously. (odd) I then shut the bike down and took off the spark plug boot and checked it, seemed fine disconnected it from the lead and cut off about an inch of the lead and reinstalled the boot and plugged it back on the plug. Restarted it and it ran without any problems, pipe got hot. Yet on another occasion ,with an 850 I had a clogged pilot jet.On my 1100g it wouldn't start and checked for spark, none on 2 cylinders. Thought for sure the ignitor had gone out. Pulled the connectors on the coil and cleaned the terminals and reinstalled everything I took off and it started right up. You just have to cover all bases, there are alot of variables. Bob

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I tried running at 2.5+ turns but once warmed up the bike ran like crap. Definitely too much.

I don't think it's a spark issue, because I have new caps/boots and I did trim an inch off the wire before installing them. I didn't replace the coils or wires though.

I got thinking - maybe the choke circuit for the right side carb is plugged up?

Comment

You should start by disassembling and cleaning your carburetors.

Comment

Cold Pipe

Originally posted by MrZig View Post
            Thanks for the tips. I tried running at 2.5+ turns but once warmed up the bike ran like crap. Definitely too much.

I don't think it's a spark issue, because I have new caps/boots and I did trim an inch off the wire before installing them. I didn't replace the coils or wires though.
            Place a spark plug in the boot and lay it on the head to check for spark while it is idling. Spark means it firing(good).
            I got thinking - maybe the choke circuit for the right side carb is plugged up?
            Starting it with choke enrichment is just bypassing the pilot circuit inwhich case you may have a restricted pilot jet. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              You should start by disassembling and cleaning your carburetors.
              I've done that. I've done everything you could possibly to do clean a carb except dip it (no dip around where I live).

New pilot jets, and the circuits sprayed out with heavy duty cleaner.

Comment

I've done everything you could possibly to do clean a carb except dip it (no dip around where I live).
                That may be your problem. If you can't get berrymans or gunk type dip, you could try hot water and lemon juice. Remove as much rubber as you can and put them in a old crock pot to cook for a while. Spray cleaner doesn't really allow you to get into all the nooks and crannys. The bodies really need to be soaked.

Comment

Working...
                X