Hot stator wires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot stator wires.

I put in a new Electrex r/r after following some diagnostics here and at the Electrex website. Bike still wouldn't run for more than a couple of minutes.
    Today, I decided to check all my connectors and I found the three connectors for the stator wires (yellow) that come together under the gas tank, inside a rubber boot, were semi-toasted. The insulation was scorched and the connectors heat-corroded. I fired up the bike and the connectors started heating up and smoking.

My question, is the heat and smoke from the corrosion causing mucho resistance? Would it be safe to cut and clean the wire and put on new connectors and test it again? Or could the heat be caused by the alternator. When running, voltage at the batt stays aroud 13.4

Any help appreciated.
    1983GS750ES 10k miles.

Thanks!

Cut the connectors off and solder the wires together, make sure that you have a good ground on the reg Best way is to add an extra ground direct from the battery ground to one of the reg mounting bolts

Comment

hot wires

I agree:
      Cut the connectors off and solder the wires together, make sure that you have a good ground on the reg Best way is to add an extra ground direct from the battery ground to one of the reg mounting bolts
      Corrosion on those connectors cause the mucho resistance and can fry your stator.

Comment

The same thing happened to me two weeks ago while I was trying to synch my carbs. I was pretty dissapointed since I was so close to getting the bike on the road but counted myself lucky that it happened while I was working on the bike and was able to shut it down before a fire started. Funny thing is that I had a regulator rectifier on order from electrex. I quickly checked the stator and found that it was blown. Not sure what is "cause" and what is "effect" here. Anyway, I replaced both the stator and R/R, soldering connections and cleaning up any grounds that I could readily spot. So far so good.

Jeff

Comment

After cutting off those connectors, check the wire itself. I had the same problem, and I chose to cut off about 1.5 inches of hardened, crystalized wire, too. While I didn't check the remains for resistance, I'm certain that the hardened wire wasn't conducting well. To help make up the length of wire you'll cut off, I'd suggest crimping-on uninsulated butt connectors, THEN SOLDERING those connections.

Comment

I had similar situation about 4-5 years ago. I was having occasional charging problems, I checked out the stator and R/R per the manaul, which did not prove anything completly bad but got marginal readings, so I thought someone with more experience could determine the problem. Took it to dealer, they replaced stator, which improved the situation but didnt completly fix it (and I've never been back). Later I was checking it out and noticed that the stator wires were hot, not burning off insulation but hot. Then determined that it was the connectors generating the heat. I cut them opened and noticed corrosion where the wires were connected to the connector so there was no way to "clean it up". I cut them off and used butt-splices and tightly wrapped each one in electrical tape to keep out moisture. Wires didnt heat up then. No problem since.
            A couple of things about butt splices: Dont use oversized connectors, get the smallest size that fits the wire (that one wire fits into, not both wires overlapping). Dont use regular plyers to crimp the connectors, use a crimping tool (which usally has wire stripper also). Stripp insullation off wire only for what fits inside the metal part of the buttsplice.
            Soldering the wires may make a slightly better connection, but butt-splices worked for me.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by redman
              Soldering the wires may make a slightly better connection, but butt-splices worked for me.
              When new, there would be no difference at all. However, years later the soldered connection can not have deteriorated due to corrosion, and will continue to conduct as well as uninterrupted wire.

Comment

Working...
              X