Short in a ground ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short in a ground ?

Hi, I am not much of an electrician so take it easy on me. I went to start bike and the oil light and the neutral lights were on and the headlight was off with no key in the starter switch. With the key on no change. I had to move the bike out of the garage and took the battery out. Later on when I had time to mess with it the lights stayed off except when key was on. I did wiggle the wires around and noticed sparks while I pulled on the battery box, At the frame. If I pulled the battery box out a little and held it in that spot it would run fine, headlight worked and the turnsignals also. There is I think the starter solinoid located on the side of the battery box, Is it possible that is the problem? I did notice cobwebs in the positive wire, at the post. It seems like the battery box is not grounded to the frame. Any ideas on what to do? add a ground wire to the battery box, there is a gound wire to the solinoid, I think. The bolts holding the battery box on to the frame seem to have fiber washers or something on them? That is why I am unsure of the adding a ground wire to it, solinoid maybe going bad or something? It was running fine the day before and the last time I started it I could let go of the battery box and it didn't die, was running okay other than the weird problem of trying to start it.I have cleaned most all of the wire connections. Any ideas on how to fix the problem? or what caused it.

The battery box is grounded because it is bolted to the frame. Get a wiring diagram for your bike and start tracing the grounds. Make sure they are all clean and well connected.

Comment

The battery box should have a ground wire attached to one of the bolts. The rubber grommets are to protect the battery/electrics from vibration

Comment

I will check the grounds but seems kinda weird that the box is the problem, bike runs great until I push out on the battery then it dies. I only seen the starter solinoid attached to it. I could not get it unscrewed but will get it off somehow, drill or vicegrips. Thanks for quick answer. I did not even think about vibration dampiner.

Comment

Working...
        X