Knocking with my 1100gk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocking with my 1100gk

I do have a problem with my 1100gk.. Well me and me lady went for a 200 mile ride this past Saturday. It was running great and when we got home i heard like a knocking on the left side. Sounds like it's behind the casing that says Suzuki. I only notice it when it's idling. When i rev it up i don't hear it. The guy i bought it from said it will need the clutch basket changed next yr. It still knocks when then clutch is pulled in. I know it's a little hard to pull the clutch in compared to my gt750. I don't know if that would be a cause or not. The engine has a fresh oil change and filter to by the way with Rotella T. I bought the bike in may of this yr with 62,000 miles on it. So i hope someone might know what my knocking is on my 1100gk hog...

He could be right. It might pay to take the cover off and make sure
    the big nut is tight

Comment

The knocking is your Starter Clutch. Common problem on the bigger GSs especially THAT one. My 1100G (your bike without all the bags and fairing) ate one at about 40K miles, so you're doing better than most. Id suggest getting a manual, read about how to replace it, and then ask questions on here if you're not sure about something. You will need a few things tho:

Stator cover gasket-available at various parts suppliers, Z1Enterprises.com should have it too..

Rotor puller-used to pull the charging rotor off the end of the crank. Its a press fit part, and if you try to use anything else other than THIS TOOL, you might break the magnets in the charging rotor, and then you'll have an even BIGGER problem. You can get the rotor puller from Z1, but you need to get the RIGHT one, as there are a couple of different ones (3 different ones actually) used for different designs on the Zooks. Not cheap, but you NEED it, dont try a jaw puller or anything, or bad things will happen. Ask me how i know this..

New Starter Clutch assembly- You MIGHT be able to find a GOOD used one here on the board, but, as the 1000/1100 G/GL/GK used their OWN design, it will have to be from one of those bikes. A OEM NEW one from Bike Bandit or such places runs about 200 bucks, but it will last another 20 years so i wouldnt quibble about the cost. Some guys may tell you that you can try to REBUILD your current one, and you might get away with it for a little while, but it WILL FAIL eventually, and when it does fail, little metal parts will go flying thru your motor and oil supply. And, in case you didnt already know, thats BAD...MMMmmkay??

Sucks, and I know it from experience, but, If you dont fix it, it may end up doing serious damage to your motor at some point worst case, or leave you pushing your bike, best case, when it finally gives out...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and I hope it helps...

TCK

Comment

this sounds crazy but hear me out- mine was doing the same thing, sounded like a rod scared me lol, nbut i figured out it was the tank petcock pumping air (making the knocking sound) when it was low on fuel!
        you can hear the sound through the tank,and it sounds deep in the motor
        check this out and see

Comment

Working...
        X