Charging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging question

Okay probably a dumb question I will admit did very little searching and didnt find what I was looking for so............

What charges the battery????????????? 1981 GS750................

I am having battery issues at first just thought it was an old battery didnt even bother checking anything with a meter as the battery was almost 5 years old.

Okay new battery ran a few days then died pulled out the meter was getting 5.8 volts at the battery while running. looked farther found a bad fuse replaced fuse charged battery started bike then I was getting 11.8 at the battery while running.

Ran it to day for an hour or so and the battery is already starting to die.

I have not checked anything else yet.

Just looking for some quick suggestions.

Is it the R/R that is involved in the charging circuit.

Sorry for the lame questions but not to keen on the electrical aspect.

Thanks for any help.

Yup you're partially right. The R/R is important but it won't do anything without a working Stator (generator). The stator puts out A/C voltage that the R/R converts to D/C voltage and maintains at a reduced optimal voltage of around 14.5 volts which runs the electrics and charges the battery. Read all about it in the stator papers and if you follow the flow chart you will be able to sort out your issues.

One thing you really need to do is clean up and or replace all your connectors in the charge and fuse circuits as bad connectors will make charging nie on impossible and will contribute to all kinds of "gremlins" with the electrics in general. Lots of information on this so get reading.

With thes old bikes this is the number one operating issue, we have all gone through it so you are not alone.

Start by cleaning those contacts and then see what you get.

Good luck with it.

cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

GSRyder,

Good that you do have a voltmeter.

What charges the battery? The charging system.

Based on the info you gave; your charging system is not charging.

Like stated above; the charging system consists mostly of the Rectifyer/Regulator ("R/R" that you mentioned) and the stator. And all the connections inbetween and to the battery and to the ground.

Find the "Stator Papers" elsewhere on the web site (not the forumn). It is fairly detailed. Ment to find any little problem, or any little thing that can cause a problem big or small. The big test is the stator open circuit test where you disconnect the stator from the R/R, run engine at mid RPMs, and measure voltage output of stator. That would be 3 voltage readings; between 1st & 2nd stator wire, between 2nd & 3rd, and between 3rd and 1st.

Let us know more what you find.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

actually you dont have to run the bike while you check the stator. you can check the stator by swithing your tester to the ohm's (if you have it) and check the continuity of each connector. like redman said check 1st&2nd, 2nd&3rd, and 1st&3rd. make sure you know what ohm's they should be putting out and that should help with that. also check your R/R by doing the same test but be carefull because you could fry your R/R if you touch a connection while checking the others. hope this helps.

Comment

Don't take any shortcuts here. Read the stator papers and know what you are doing rather than just guessing. Better to be informed so you can attack the problem properly.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Okay thank for the replies I will be getting into it latter today.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X