Starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting problems

I'm a first time rider and recently bought a GS850 L. Problem is, whenever I stall the bike out when practicing, I can't get it to start again for another 30-45 minutes. I feel like the battery is weak, as all the indication lights are poorly lit when i try to start up. Is this just a weak battery or something more?

If the battery doesn't maintain a charge, you've got charging system issues. The cause could be as simple as a few bad connections or as major as replacing the stator (generator).

Having recently replaced my 850L's stator, regulator, battery and performing other needed electrical repairs, I can assure you that none of it is terribly *difficult*, but it does need attention from you asap before the bike leaves you looking for a jump-start somewhere dark and scary

Start here -

For a more in depth explanation of how our bike's charging systems work and more detailed testing notes, go here -

Comment

Silly question...

I can't seem to get the seat to lift up, even though I'm pretty sure that the seat lock is not broken (seller opened it up). I place the key in and turn 45 degrees clockwise, can't get it open. What am I doing wrong? At this point, I cannot get the bike to start, so will try another battery and go through checklist. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by MBanks View Post
        I can't seem to get the seat to lift up, even though I'm pretty sure that the seat lock is not broken (seller opened it up). I place the key in and turn 45 degrees clockwise, can't get it open. What am I doing wrong?
        It might be jammed, mine was a bit hard to use till I attacked it with some WD40. Try spraying some down into the keyhole and then working the key back and forth a few times. If you've got an 80 850L with a seat like mine, when you turn the key the lock cylinder should pop out and then the seat should tip forward. I'm not sure exactly how the other year seats are set up, but the WD40 can't hurt either way.

Comment

The cheapest and easist thing to do is clean your grounds. My main was dirty and it made the starter and battery look bad.

Comment

I'll bet a buck that the three bullet connectors at the end of the stator leads are cooked and need cleaning. There will be visible heat damage there from resistance caused by dirt / corrosion.

clean them real well and tweak them sothat they make tight contact.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks and nevermind!

Happily, my bike started up strong today. Don't think it was the battery before, just stalled it out too many times at once :X. Thanks for all the advice! Looking forward to learning to ride my first motorcycle, the 850 L, this weekend!!!

Comment

Working...
              X