Tire Hop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Hop

Hi, I just got done swapping rims from my donor to my 750. And now when I hit 40 MPH my bike starts hopping. Is this cause the tire is not aligned? Or balanced? Any help would be grately appriciated, since I am trying to get some riding in b4 its too cold to ride. Thanks Mike

Had the same on my front after i had the tire put on and yes it was the balance.. on mine anyway.

Comment

I think the first thing you should do is, remove the front wheel (or both) and
      place the axle back in the wheel. Set the ends of the axle on a couple of jack stands, or something similar, and check the balance.

Comment

Sorry the hop is on the rear tire I thought I posted that. That is why I was thinking it was the chain tensioners, not aligning properly.

Comment

Balance could well be the problem.

Also check for a wheel that is out of round.

Are the bearings in the donor wheel worn, or was it injured at any time in a way that could deform the roundness?
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

When I tested the donor It didn't have the problem hopping I had it up to 70 mph with out any wheel hop, so I don't think that the bearings are bad. I will pull the wheels off tomorrow and check em on my stands.

Comment

hop at speeds that low is probably roundness. Look real close at the bead on both sides of the tire all the way around, and confirm that the rear tire is properly seated all the way around. It sounds like it isn't.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Just checked the roundness this morning. It looks seated all the way around. I will pull it off this evening to check balance and again inspect the roundness/ tread.

Comment

Just got done with a ride at lunch and it is the roundness of the tire. But its the fron that needs rea adjusted. I swear my bro said rear tire was hopping. Maybe it caused it to by the fron not being round. Who knows. Oh well I will post a reply when I get it fixed.

Thanks agin for the help!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X