stock exhaust bolts too short for V&H's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock exhaust bolts too short for V&H's

I got new Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust to put on my '79GS1000EN and the directions say to use the STOCK exhaust bolts. So I got those from Bike Bandit and they are WAY TOO SHORT. The bolts need to go through a flange and they don't nearly reach. I took out the old gaskets and put in new ones.
    I called everyone that I got the stuff from and they all confirmed I got the right parts. Bike Bandit and Dennis Kirk could only recommend that I call Vance & Hines, but I can't even get them on the phone. So I searched on here and saw that one guy had the same problem, but he's not accepting PM's (Keith Krause). So Keith or anyone else, what size bolts did you need to use and where did you get them? Thanks!! I'm really desparate to get these pipes on and finish this project!! I really want to ride it!

By the way, the directions said I was supposed to get other bolts in the package, but not to use them (only for certain year kat's). Well, I didn't even get those. I think V&H's is slipping some in the QA dept.

Don't know why you don't have what you need, but I'd get studs to replace the bolts. In the future nuts will come off the studs much easier than bolts will come out of the head.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Go to Ace Hardware, get some longer bolts (I like stainless allen heads myself), and use looooooots of antiseize.

With almost all aftermarket goods, the application data for older bikes is highly suspect. Just be happy that the exhaust fits.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

just measure up and get some longer bolts, not a difficult fix really! as mentioned, get some nice stainless allen bolts and smother them with anti sieze.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

For my '80 GS1100E I used 8mm X 1.25mm X 30mm. I don't know if that's stock or not, just going by what I ordered from boltdepot.com. I got socket head stainless. They were $.71 a piece and the part number is #6436.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            just measure up and get some longer bolts, not a difficult fix really! as mentioned, get some nice stainless allen bolts and smother them with anti sieze.
            That is what you need to do, although I would also suggest you use studs instead of bolts because they are easier to work with and reduce chances of stripping threads in the head.

To measure the depth inside the head use a bolt of identical thread and diameter, insert it all the way and then put a mark on the bolt flush with the head

After that, add on the thickness of the parts plus any washers you will be adding and you have the total length. (unless you use studs, as they will be a bit longer to afford extra threads for the nuts to be installed.)

If using bolts I would recommend using two mm less than the total from above to allow for stretching or alternate washers.

USE LOTS of ANTI-SIEZE.

Torque the bolts into place....you do not want to strip the head.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post

To measure the depth inside the head use a bolt of identical thread and diameter, insert it all the way and then put a mark on the bolt flush with the head

I used a popcycle stick.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

The ones in my V&H are 1 3/8" long.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                  The ones in my V&H are 1 3/8" long.
                  Inches, barleycorns, and other outdated systems of measurements are filthy leftovers of the colonial age...

You meant 35mm, right?
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

"NO" !!!!!, he meant 1 3/8". Where are you from??? Japan????
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Inches, barleycorns, and other outdated systems of measurements are filthy leftovers of the colonial age...

You meant 35mm, right?
                      Sorry Brian, but this is a man who likes beer.

He understands that it takes 8 sips to make a short drink and 36 short drinks make a yard of ale, so with the aid of a popsicle stick he needs only 3 sips and one short drink to find the exact drop in fluid level as a bona fide measure. Of course, if he bolts too much down at a time it creates the effect of a draught, so his tongue gets loose even as he gets tight and later the stick becomes his depressor.

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice! Couple of questions. First, I don't have the stock bolts anymore. I sent them back to bikebandit. Never had the originals, I guess the PO lost them. So how do I know what the threads are( I think its called the pitch?)?
                        Second, studs sound like the way to go, so do I have to take it to a shop to get them put in?
                        And I don't think a 1 3/8" bolt would even reach past the end of the pipes from the flange! It's not right I think. From the flange to the pipes is REALLY FAR. The flanges stick out, not even close to the motor. I'm at work now, but if I get a chance I'll post pics tonight. Again, thanks for all the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                          Sorry Brian, but this is a man who likes beer.

He understands that it takes 8 sips to make a short drink and 36 short drinks make a yard of ale, so with the aid of a popsicle stick he needs only 3 sips and one short drink to find the exact drop in fluid level as a bona fide measure. Of course, if he bolts too much down at a time it creates the effect of a draught, so his tongue gets loose even as he gets tight and later the stick becomes his depressor.

Thanks for the laugh! That piece of work made my day!

Comment

Working...
                          X