Converting to Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting to Electronic Ignition

Gentlemen, I've got a '78 GS1000 and would really like to convert it to an electronic ignition. Now from searching this forum, I've seen that a number of you have done this on your bikes. What I didn't get from my search was a good understanding of just how difficult the process is.

My question then to you that have done this, how would you rate the dificulty of this project. I know there is a kit for that Dennis Kirk stocks for doing it. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being as easy as changing the oil and 10 being don't do it unless you're an experienced certified mechanic, where would you rate this conversion? Also, how many of you replaced the stock ign. coils and how many of you reused them?

I appreciate your responses.

Thanks,
    -T

I switched to the Dyna 'S' ignition and coils years ago. It's the best investment for the bike, after an Electrex Reg/Rec. The ignition costs about $125 and the coils about $100. The coils give a hotter spark but are not absolutely necessary. Some people just wait and replace when the stock coils go bad. I'm not a 'gearhead', just basic mechanical knowledge and patience. I think installing the Dyna ignition was simple. I just needed crimping tool and connectors. Timing was simple too. Taking off the gas tank was 1/2 the work. If you're keeping the bike, it's a great mod. If you had a mechanic do the job, around here they would charge about 1 1/2 hours @$60/hr.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

installing the Dyna S was cake for me...they make the wire harness plug and play with Suzuki's so you dont have to cut or splice anything. the only actual wiring you do is add 4-terminal connectors to the old coil wires.

Keith, you must have bought your Dyna S back in the 80s, lol. Its now about $390 shipped, for Dyna S, coils, and wires from Dynatek.

I made a post on this forum about TWO electronic ignition systems for sale on ebay...check it out.

~Adam

Comment

electronic ignition conversion

I've become so used to the new ignition I'd forgotten what I used to go through with the old points/condensers. It used to take forever to warm up enought to take throttle, and was a chore to start - unlike now. Now I just "touch" the starter and it's running, and is ready to run much, much sooner than before.

My mechanic put in the Dyna while I was having some other things done. Don't remember the cost, but he said it was an extremely simple conversion. Used the same coils. I've just turned 51K on my 79 850 G with Vetter fairing w/lowers, plus a rack and box on the back.

Comment

If you have an I.Q. above 70 you can install the Dyna S alone and in the dark. It is that simple. Period. End of story.

I installed a Dyna 3 on mine 3 years ago and it was easy. The Dyna S is even simpler. $203 plus shipping. Oh and he's right, the price has jumped. My Dyna 3 cost me $128 in 2000 from Dennis Kirk.

Comment

bastages 8O

Comment

Thanks guys!!

Hey, I appreciate all the responses. I think this is one mod I'm definitely going to do and do soon. Mike S your response really encourages me. I've noticed the same issues with my 1000 and was considering this upgrade to try and help alieviate it. Takes 4-5 cranks in the morning when it's totally cooled off just to get it started, then needs 3-4 minutes to warm up. Hopefully this will help. Thanks again.

Comment

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

i just had my virgin ride with the newly installed Dyna S...UNBELIEVABLE. it starts in half a second, it idles at 1000 RPM, it pulls smoothly through all RPM's...i'm still numb!!!

if you're going to do the switch to electronic ignition, ditch the stock old coils too. i have Dyna Green coils on mine now too...awesome. you will love your bike forever.

~Adam

Comment

Mechanical advancer units

A Dynatek rep informed my I would need a "mechanical advancer unit" in order to switch to a Dyna S. Evidently my 83 GS850G is fully transistorized and needs the advancer. Can anyone give me some specifics on what advancer I need for the conversion.

Thanks!

Matt Storbeck
                  Otsego, MI

Comment

I bought this bike a month ago, and the plug wires say Taylor, the prevoius owner say he upgraded, Anyone heard of these. Also do i probably still have points, ect?

Comment

Forgive my newbie questions, but, what advantage does an electronic ignition give, exactly? Also, does anyone know if an electronic ignition would go on a 1980 GS1100L? I couldn't find in the Clymer manual where it talked about points or anything... I do indeed have to crank the bike a little bit to get it started.

Thanks!

- Eric

Comment

If you want to upgrade the ignition then check out pro-flow.com. They sell the Dyna systems for less Dynatek does. I just ordered the Dyna S, coils and wires for $285. that price includes 2-day UPS shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by egunter
                          Forgive my newbie questions, but, what advantage does an electronic ignition give, exactly? Also, does anyone know if an electronic ignition would go on a 1980 GS1100L? I couldn't find in the Clymer manual where it talked about points or anything... I do indeed have to crank the bike a little bit to get it started.

Thanks!

- Eric
                          Your '80 GS1100L comes stock with an electronic ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
                            Your '80 GS1100L comes stock with an electronic ignition.
                            Thanks!

- Eric

Comment

What about my 82 GS1100 GL ? Did it come stock with electronic ignition ?

Comment

Working...
                              X