Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took tank off..found mystery wires??

Hi All...
    Took the gas tank off for the first time since owning the bike...which is a 1981 GS1000L.
    Hanging off to the left side of the bike (as if I am sitting on it ) near the front is two female spade connectors. One has 2 solid green wires going into it. The other has a orange wire w/ green stripe.
    Any idea what they are for? Looked in the clymer schematic...not even a orange w/green stripe showing? Wondering if they were meant for a fairing at one time?
    Any help would be appreciated...
    Thx
    Rick

Originally posted by 81GS1000L View Post
    Hi All...
    Took the gas tank off for the first time since owning the bike...which is a 1981 GS1000L.
    Hanging off to the left side of the bike (as if I am sitting on it ) near the front is two female spade connectors. One has 2 solid green wires going into it. The other has a orange wire w/ green stripe.
    Any idea what they are for? Looked in the clymer schematic...not even a orange w/green stripe showing? Wondering if they were meant for a fairing at one time?
    Any help would be appreciated...
    Thx
    Rick
    Sounds to me like its the Horn wires?? Horns use (green and orange/green)

Do you have functional horns?

Comment

I agree that they are for the horns. The green one is the "hot" wire, it should show battery voltage when the key is ON. The orange/green wire leads to the switch in the left handgrip housing and will be grounded when the horn switch is pressed.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

just ran outside...neighbors won't like me...lol...but pressed the horn button and it sounded. Too dark to look further, but i do know i have a working horn.
        now what?
        Rick

Comment

Most GS bikes have two horns. Are they both there?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As I recall, Suzuki used spade connectors for the horn and for the coils, and everywhere else they used bullet connectors.

Do yours look like factory-issue, or after-market?
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I am getting a chance to work on the bike again today in the daylight...so am going to check the connections at both horns. Will keep you updated.
              thx again...
              Rick

Comment

The horn is hooked up to the same color wires. These wires are factory and are coming from the same harness as the horn wires...except there are 2 solid green into one female spade connector and one orange with green stipe wire.

My bike only has 1 horn...should there be 2? Am thinking that some bikes did , and thus the extra plug in?
                Rick

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS1000L View Post
                  The horn is hooked up to the same color wires. These wires are factory and are coming from the same harness as the horn wires...except there are 2 solid green into one female spade connector and one orange with green stipe wire.

My bike only has 1 horn...should there be 2? Am thinking that some bikes did , and thus the extra plug in?
                  Rick
                  Yes, they have a "low" and "hi" horn, so you should have two.

Do you have a multimeter to test the wires when the horn button is pushed?

Comment

They are horn wires. Not sure why mine is missing one...seems strange. But whatever...something else to try and locate.
                    thanks again for all your help!
                    Rick

Comment

my 1982 400E has only 1 horn too

Comment

Working...
                      X