1100 motor identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 motor identification

Is there a way to tell what year the 1100 engines are exactly like a build date on the cases or something.
    I found a guy near me that supposedly has several early 80s 1100 engines loose laying around not running that he is selling for cheap.

The only thing I know is that they went to the rectangular valve cover caps on the sides in 1980.

Other than that how can you decipher between 1981, 1982, 1983, etc.

Thanks for you help.

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
    Is there a way to tell what year the 1100 engines are exactly like a build date on the cases or something.
    I found a guy near me that supposedly has several early 80s 1100 engines loose laying around not running that he is selling for cheap.

The only thing I know is that they went to the rectangular valve cover caps on the sides in 1980.

Other than that how can you decipher between 1981, 1982, 1983, etc.

Thanks for you help.
    There were 2 different 1100 engines in the Suzuki GS line in '80, '81, and '82. The rectangular cam end cap versions are the 16-valve TSCC engine and the round cam end cap version is the 8-valve engine. The 61-valve engine was a completly new design in 1980 while the 8-valve 1100 is basically a bored out GS1000G engine.

Comment

Okay but is there a way to tell what year the motor is exactly 80, 81, 82, 83?

I think 1983 is what I am really looking for as far as the research I have done so far.

Is there any distinct difference between these years or model/serial number identification?

Comment

Someone can tell from the #'s, but not me. The "83"'s were black. "82" & " 83" models had valve cover bolts against both edges of the cam chain tunnel, at the front. On the "80" & "81" models these bolts were appx. 1" either side of the tunnel. A look at bike bandit will show you the difference. Just my opinion
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
          Okay but is there a way to tell what year the motor is exactly 80, 81, 82, 83?

I think 1983 is what I am really looking for as far as the research I have done so far.

Is there any distinct difference between these years or model/serial number identification?
          On the engine case number an 81 GS1100 has typed "GS110X"
          Thats all I can help with, or at least thats what my engine has.

X is the code for 81, so maybe 82 = D, 83 = E ??

Comment

pre 1982 has the larger breather cover and two less bolts in rocker cover to head. Chrome cam end caps (18mm piston pins)

1982 has the later type rocker cover and breather pod, again chrome cam end caps( 18mm piston pins)

1983/ 84 has the black painted motor with internal mods ie 20mm piston pins and different primary drive ratio from crank to clutch basket (more teeth), also the arrangement of the clutch cover bolts are different

1984 crossover to the later 1150 motors

Comment

Okay thanks guys he is going to send me the serial numbers tonight.

I think I am going to buy it anyway.

It has a motor knock but it is a complete motor minus carbs.

For what I want to do with it it will need a rebuild anyway so it will be a cheap start. (I hope!!)

Comment

Originally posted by neil w View Post
                pre 1982 has the larger breather cover and two less bolts in rocker cover to head. Chrome cam end caps (18mm piston pins)

1982 has the later type rocker cover and breather pod, again chrome cam end caps( 18mm piston pins)

1983/ 84 has the black painted motor with internal mods ie 20mm piston pins and different primary drive ratio from crank to clutch basket (more teeth), also the arrangement of the clutch cover bolts are different

1984 crossover to the later 1150 motors
                I did not think there were any 16V 1100's after 83?

The 1150 is really a different animal to the 1100's as well.

Comment

If it has 24 bolt in the valve cover that makes it an 82 (possible) or and 83. As above .. if the cases were factory black it is an 83 as far as I know.

Comment

The 80/81 have 20 bolts holding the valve cover on & an hourglass shaped breather cover. The 82/83 use a 24 bolt valve cover & have a rectangular breather cover. The 82 is silver & the 83 was the first year for black in the 16 valvers. As for telling the 80 from an 81, I have NO idea! Ray.
                    Last edited by rapidray; 09-17-2009, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I don't know what you call "cheap", but if the knock is from a twisted crank or a bad bearing on the crank, I wouldn't call it a cheap start
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The guy is asking $250.00.
                        He said it was running when he parked it but you could here a knock.
                        Unless the cases got scrapped with whatever went wrong, the casses and head alone are worth $250.00 from what I have seen around me.
                        I have searched e-bay, craigslist, and some local auctions, papers and such and have not seen a 1100 motor go for less the $500.00 and most of them are around $800.00.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Roll the dice...

Comment

For that price I would buy all I could find! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              The 80/81 have 20 bolts holding the valve cover on & an hourglass shaped breather cover. The 82/83 use a 24 bolt valve cover & have a rectangular breather cover. The 82 is silver & the 83 was the first year for black in the 16 valvers. As for telling the 80 from an 81, I have NO idea! Ray.
                              The only way I know to tell is by the crank ends. 80 had the small crank ends and far as I know, no other year did.

Earl
                              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                              X