Speedo refit, or maybe not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo refit, or maybe not...

I have an 82 1100e, I just got a 140 speedo suposedly from a gs 650. Any way, it looks like I gotta split the thing ALL the way down to even try it. And on my 1100 it has 2 wires going to what looks like some kind of thermal switch or strange light bulb. It's about 3/4 to an inch long and maybe 1/8 inch thick. located at the bottom of the internal speedo assembly. Anybody know what that could be? And anybody else try this with success?

Is it the light for the instrument cluster?
    Keith
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

no, it's definately ome type of switch. it was mounted at the bottom of the speedo drive, right next to the magnetics.

Comment

Just a guess: If your bike had self cancelling signals, it may be the distance/time sensor that sends info to the signal control unit.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

That could be it, I always wondered how it knew if you were moving or not. It does look like ot would close the contact when the magnets are spinning, I thoguht that it could be some speed limiter, but I had never heard of that. I don't remember if my turn signals shut off automatically when I rode it last. I did get the speedo in by the way, it seems to be close to 5 mph off at 60 or so, but I can see when I shoud be getting a rush or not now anyhow. Visual confirmation. It's so stupid to put an 85 mph speedo on a bike that will do 100 in 3rd gear.

Comment

Working...
          X