Hanging brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging brakes

What is the most common cause for the scraping sound out of the front brakes? The calipers are not hung and the system is bled. Could it simply be new pads needed, they didn't look horrible but not nearly unworn either?

brake grinding

dirt on the brake pad and rotor. remove and clean with brake clean and light sand pads. remove any rust off of back of pads.

Comment

When I've gotten that either the caliper or master cylinder (or both) needed cleaning or rebuilt. The pistons return some but not enough.

Comment

my front brakes screech and squeal alot- the same no matter if are cold or warm, i use them very little

Comment

When I was an auto mechanic that squeeling was usually caused by replacing the pads without resurfacing the rotors. The rotor surface becomes so hard and slick that the pads overheat and glaze over while trying to slow or stop the bike from a high speed. Sometimes it can be lessened by using the anti rattle compound that comes with some disc pads on the backing plate of the pad.

Comment

If the sound (squealing) is the only thing that is wrong (i.e. brakes are not binding, etc.).....you can get rid of that by taking off your pads (you will see that the braking surface is all shiny), and rubbing them on a flat concrete/cements surface until the shiny/glazy look is gone. Then just re-install them.
            Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
            "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
            1982 GS1100E
            1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

sand paper works better, use a 80 grit and lay the paper on a hard smooth surface so you sand the pads evenly. then just clean every thing up with some brake cleaner and see what happens, if it still gives you problems take some very light finish sand paper and clean you rotors with that. what you are trying to do is remove the glazeing from the pads and the disk, becareful when you first take it out for a ride the brakes will be a grabyer then usale. it should help

ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

good deal

thanks

Comment

Working...
                X