Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know this is a GS Forum... But I have a GN and I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is a GS Forum... But I have a GN and I need help!

I am brand new to bikes, and recently when I pondered trying my hand at getting my Learners, I was given an old bike from a family friend. They managed to source it God only knows where, but hey, free bike right, I'm not going to complain.
    I know nothing about bikes, all I know about this one is that its a Suzuki GN250 1989 model (1989 is the year written on the old registration papers).

Its most recent registration expired in January of this year and the bike has been sitting since then. It was also crashed, but from what I can tell, the crash didn't do much damage. The petrol tank is messed up, but apart from that, there really isn't any physical damage that either myself or my dad can see.

The day I got it, when it still had the old petrol in it, my friend Max attempted to clutch/roll start it down a slope, and it did kick over for about half a second. So, assuming it wouldn't turn over from sitting for so long, we cleaned out the tank and put fresh fuel in. We did an oil change and put in fresh oil and and have recharged the battery.

Now when I attempt to start it, I turn the key and the starter light comes on, and all my electricals work as far as I can see. When I press the electric starter button, it starts to chug, and as long as I have my finger on that button, it keeps chugging and won't give up. It just won't take the extra plunge to turn over and stay started.

Some suggestions I have been given on other forums are as follows:
    1. First thing is to check the spark plug for a spark.
    2. Check that fuel is getting to the carb or clean the carb?

I've found an owners manual online, as well as a schematic of the carb which will be useful in pulling it apart to clean it.

But yeah.... knowing NOTHING about bikes, this is going to be an awkward exercise for me, and I'm hoping I don't screw anything up and make it all worse...

First thing I'd do is pull the carb and go though it. That thing has 20 year old fuel sludge varnish inside.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

20 year fuel sludge?
      Surely someone at some point in 20 years would have cleaned the carb? I mean, it would have stopped long before now if it hadn't, wouldn't it?

Comment

I'm hoping this schematic for the carby is the right one....

pic is just too darn BIG!
        Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2009, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moondance View Post
          20 year fuel sludge?
          Surely someone at some point in 20 years would have cleaned the carb? I mean, it would have stopped long before now if it hadn't, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily! Its quite possible that its never been cleaned, as its not typically a scheduled maintenance task. Also, with the added "jostling" of the bike with the "bump" starting you could have loosened up some debris in the carb and plugged up one of the many small orifices within. How clean is the tank inside? Does it have a fuel filter? how about the condition of petcock?

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Originally posted by teet View Post
            Not necessarily! Its quite possible that its never been cleaned, as its not typically a scheduled maintenance task. Also, with the added "jostling" of the bike with the "bump" starting you could have loosened up some debris in the carb and plugged up one of the many small orifices within. How clean is the tank inside? Does it have a fuel filter? how about the condition of petcock?

Jeff (teet)
            Asking me those things is like asking a vet if he knows how to do surgery on a human.... I don't know....
            As I said, I am totally, 100% brand new to bikes.

I am trying to learn about mine however.... so... I'm slowly meandering through the information the WWW has on offer... of which there is way too much that makes my head wanna explode.

Comment

Nice looking little bike..you'll have her running great in no time!

There is some great reading here regarding alot of common repairs and fixes on GS's..alot of it will apply to your bike as well.

Jeff(teet)

Comment

Originally posted by Moondance View Post
                Asking me those things is like asking a vet if he knows how to do surgery on a human.... I don't know....
                As I said, I am totally, 100% brand new to bikes.

I am trying to learn about mine however.... so... I'm slowly meandering through the information the WWW has on offer... of which there is way too much that makes my head wanna explode.

Well, you got the right idea

1. Pull the spark plug and see if it has spark
                2. Pull the carbie off the bike (easy to do). Then take it apart from the bottom, pulling off the float bowl and seeing what's inside. Post us a picture of what you find.
                3. Drain the gas from the tank and see if it has anything floating in it. Use the petcock to drain and check for free flow.
                4. Get a small mirror on a stick at your auto parts store and check the gas tank interior, especially the top, for rust and crud.
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

There's a lot of those here in NZ & I've worked on a few....
                  The guys have already given you the basics of what to check over.
                  One tip specific to these models if it will fire but not run is to pull the wires out of the connector plug for the ignition pickups and swap them over - there's only 2 wires involved and doing this sidesteps a known problem in the ignitor box.
                  Leave this until you have eliminated all other problems as already listed.

Greg T

Comment

My father is being an ass and won't help me today and I don't want to do anything wrong and screw up the bike, so I won't do it without help, at least the first time around, so its being put aside I guess, until tomorrow.
                    Dad won't help me unless I harass him something chronic...

Either way, here is a gallery of my bikes pictures...

Click here for my album

Also, I don't know how good this sound file is, but its me holding down the button on the bike and trying to start it:

Engine Trying To Turn Over Sound

Comment

Working...
                    X