81 GS 750E won't run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS 750E won't run

Hi all, I've been doing the lurk and learn thing for a bit soaking up all the info I can. I inherited the above bike from a friend in non-running condition after it had been sitting for many years. To make a long story as short as possible, the petcock has been rebuilt, carbs pulled off and cleaned, new airbox to carb boots, new battery and other things not related to starting and running. Last night the bike started (after much effort), reved up to 5k then died, this was repeated several times until I killed the battery. If I could keep it at exactlly 5k it would go for 20 seconds then die. While it was charging back up I took the carbs off again and noticed the o-rings (new) for the needle valve seat were comming apart. The valve seats were jammed in there so tight though it took a lot of effort, and marring to get them back out. The bowls all had gas, and everything else still looks good in there. The needles were moving freely with the floats. Ok, now the question, are these o-rings my problem or am I chasing my tail. I really really get a firts ride in this weekend, but I fear I won't happen.

-Sean

anytime an oring fails, its just bad. with your case, it might be letting too much fuel get past, which is going to make it die because its being flooded. what do the spark plugs look like? are they fouled? that's a good sign of if you're getting too much gas.

~Adam

Comment

Adam, thanks for the confirmation and reply. It was getting late and I didn't even think to check the plugs. Now I just have to find a place that has them locally. So far parts shops only sell carb kits and they are special order. I might just order some anyway due to the marring done to the needle seats. Kits come with needles, seats, orings, gaskets, and jets.

From the reading I've done in these forums people really like these bikes and I hope to join ya'll on the road soon!

-Sean

Comment

your needle seats are marred bad you say?

that's going to also allow excess fuel to get past the bowl...which can cause it to overflow the bowl, or run rich (i think).

~Adam

Comment

only the end facing the floats (vicegrips) toward the top where the oring seats is still good. it just looks ugly.

Comment

Working...
          X