Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need quick info: battery out of fluid...add water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need quick info: battery out of fluid...add water?

hey, i'm about to go pick up one of my motorcycles and the battery is dry and dead. i know it holds 'some' charge...so i'm gonna jump it, but what do can i add to it fluid wise?

distilled water? tap? bottled?

thanks!

~Adam

Battery

Distilled water if possible as I read awhile ago in a article that you don't top up a dead/dry battery with acid.

Comment

Just add distilled water Let the battery set for 1/2 hr before using or charging it

Comment

WHEN I DONT HAVE DISTILLED WATER, I RUN THE HOT WATER TAP TILL IT IS LUKE WARM AND FILL A JAR FOR BATTERY FILLING. IM NOT POSITIVE BUT THE WATER SITS IN THE HOT WATER HEATER AND IT IS DRAWN FROM THE TOP OF THE UNIT AS I REMEMBER. IS THIS A MISTAKE AS FAR AS A SOURCE FOR DISTILLED WATER???

Comment

thanks for the quick replies everyone.

i'm gonna see if my buddy who's going with me, will let me borrow his motorcycles battery from his or his womans bike.

i dont really want to have jump the battery with a car...i've never done the 12volt jump to a 6volt battery. 8O

~Adam

Comment

got the distilled water. going over in a few...lets hope she starts fellas!

Comment

6 volt battery. What kind of car are you using to jump start your bike? The bike is a 12 volt.

Comment

Originally posted by 1100ed
                WHEN I DONT HAVE DISTILLED WATER, I RUN THE HOT WATER TAP TILL IT IS LUKE WARM AND FILL A JAR FOR BATTERY FILLING. IM NOT POSITIVE BUT THE WATER SITS IN THE HOT WATER HEATER AND IT IS DRAWN FROM THE TOP OF THE UNIT AS I REMEMBER. IS THIS A MISTAKE AS FAR AS A SOURCE FOR DISTILLED WATER???
                Yeah Scotty it is. Distilled water is water that has been boiled, evaporated then turned to water again to get all the minerals and other gunk out of it.

Comment

well i filled up the battery with water...we used a car battery to jump it, and it fired unbelievably on about 1/2 a turn!!! 8O

it ran okay...never ran that great...since its been sitting over a month. i was not able to bring it the 3 miles home though. the suzuki dealer lost the plastic clutch actuator piece. :x it was sitting in the clutch cover when i brought them the bike, now its gone. argh.

i put some oil in it...it was running on the choke fine, then it slowly died. i kick started it back over, the battery wasn't holding any charge apparently...cuz the starter didn't even move.

i gotta wait till sunday now to go back and the get the bike...i might have a broken clutch actuator piece here, since i replaced the cover once. i'm so *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed they lost it.

~Adam

Comment

damn battery.

the bike wont run unless the cars battery is hooked up to it. pull it off, it dies within a minute.

i hooked the battery up to a charger at home and its not getting any charge. on 12volts 6amps the charger is buzzing, but its showing .5 amps at most.

looks like i have to invest in a new battery for a bike i'm trying to sell...argh!

~Adam

Comment

is it a charging problem messing it up?

Is it possibly a charging problem? I know My previous battery kept loosing fluid. I didn't know why till I got a new battery and the bike on the road. I soon found out that I had a charging problem. I was 10 miles from home and had to rent a trailer at that point.

Comment

Working...
                      X