Really stupid question about seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really stupid question about seats

I have a decent custom king/queen touring seat that was given to me by a friend after my wife complained about the small space given to her by the stock seat on my 1980 GS1100GL. The problem is that the metal pan on the bottom in now way resembles the one on my GS, and of course, there is that silly little bit about the key mount being in the rear on the GS instead of the side.

Has anyone here ever married their stock GS seat pan to a different seat?

Is it difficult to do?

any decent upholsterer should be able to hook you up, take them all the pieces and parts and describe what you need

Comment

Dave has it exactly right: take everything you have to an automotive upholstery shop....there are many that specialize in marine work and bikes.

I had to do the opposite on one bike....bought a new Saddlemen seat, but it came with no pan, and mine was dead. Bought an 1100E pan from e-Bay, cut it, extended it, reshaped the front, welded on new mounts. Definitely not the best-looking welding job, but it is together, and it now fits my 1100G.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

A reply.......

Can you use your old pan????? If so unhook the seats from the bottom and interchange.....Be careful, our old bikes are a little brittle in the hook department....I did this with a nice seat from JC Whitney on my 1980 GS1000G.....Easily done.....Focus Frenzy came to visit and I gave him my old seat with cushion and he put it on in about 1 hour, maybe less......Good Luck! 8)

Comment

Working...
        X